Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,429   Online: 960

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Nige, what a simple, and an elegant idea. I just hope the seal never bursts when the bottle is upside-down.
    haha.. I hope not too! been doing this for 35ish years (a couple of bottles)

Also, as far as using it in the tank, I've always done that (Paterson System 4). I just rinse the reels and tank afterwards. Still use my original reels on occasion and don't have any particular problem with them (i.e. if it's really humid, new or old reels can cause problems)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just put a few drops in the tank after the wash. Once the film is hung, I do wash the reel and tank well and wipe with a clean towel then rinse with very hot water again. I've never had problems with foaming (not to say I never will, I suppose).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I use the Jobo tanks and drums, I remove the film, place it in a container of water with PhotoFlo. PhotoFlo should not be used with the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum because it messes up the drum membranes and cannot be removed without damaging the membranes.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

I had issues using wetting agent (a comercial brand from Brazil) and D96 replenished for eastman double-x. After using the solution 10 times and properly replenishing it (it should last for 20-25 times), I started to see some kind of "slime" at the glass bottle, and it started to foam when agitated. Don't know if I forgot to wash the tank between sessions, but I had to dump it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it possible to transfer the film into a dedicated tank for the sole purpose of Photoflo (without a reel)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Is it possible to transfer the film into a dedicated tank for the sole purpose of Photoflo (without a reel)
    Yes, but you don't need a tank. A ~1 litre plastic container of any sort that lacks ridges or crevasses works just as well - think re-purposed kitchen measuring graduate, yogurt container, sour cream container, et al - just mark it for darkroom use only.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

Yes. I now use a large plastic tub and remove film from the reel before putting it into the photoflo solution. I originally used Ilfotol in the Paterson tank with no problems. I bought Photoflo last year when I couldn't get Ilfotol. I've had foaming problems ever since, despite thoroughly cleaning everything after each session (I have always done that). I now use the separate tub, but my tanks still foam! I wonder if the Photoflo formula changed at some point in the recent past? Alex.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Photo-flo 200 and Photo-flo 600 are two different beasties, if you have been changing around any.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    Yes. I now use a large plastic tub and remove film from the reel before putting it into the photoflo solution. I originally used Ilfotol in the Paterson tank with no problems. I bought Photoflo last year when I couldn't get Ilfotol. I've had foaming problems ever since, despite thoroughly cleaning everything after each session (I have always done that). I now use the separate tub, but my tanks still foam! I wonder if the Photoflo formula changed at some point in the recent past? Alex.
    Pulling the film off the reel before photoflo'ing it will often cause fine scratches where the corners of the film rub against the emulsion. Leave it on the reel for protection while it's in photoflo; a quick rinse under the hot tap will completely clean the reel once the film is hung up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity, if PhotoFlo is causing all of those issues, why are people using it, and not something benign like Ilfotol or LFN? Or do those cause the same problems? I've had none yet...
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin