Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,287   Online: 1025

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

I only used Photoflo because my stockist was out of the other stuff. I didn't expect it to be any different, or I would not have used it. I will be returning to Ilfotol, especially after reading this thread. I could use it in the tank without any problem. Although I wash everything after use, I avoid hot water as I understood this could distort Paterson plastic reels. Alex.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can use Photoflo in the tank without any problem too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Can you categorically claim this to be true?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pulling the film off the reel before photoflo'ing it will often cause fine scratches where the corners of the film rub against the emulsion. Leave it on the reel for protection while it's in photoflo; a quick rinse under the hot tap will completely clean the reel once the film is hung up.
    Well then you have a problem. You eventually have to remove the film from the reel to use it. Just be careful, never had a problem.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Can you categorically claim this to be true?
    I've done it, er, 370 times now to no ill effect. My spirals are completely clean, they load perfectly and do not contaminate the developer. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Quote Originally Posted by fotch
    Well then you have a problem. You eventually have to remove the film from the reel to use it. Just be careful, never had a problem.
    Well obviously, it comes out either to be hung up to dry or to be sleeved (if you dried it the reel, which I don't). The problem comes if you unspool it (say, a 120 roll) into an icecream container and slosh it a bit in the photoflo. The film will rub on the container a little, and the corners of the film will rub on a neighbouring bit of film, causing tiny hairline scratches - you have to really look hard for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remove from the reel and seesaw the film in a bowl or tray of Photo-flow. It is the same technique that Kodak shows in old books before tanks were available or popular and film was ortho so they used under a red safelight.

Never had any problems with damage to film. Very easy and fast.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done it, er, 370 times now to no ill effect. My spirals are completely clean, they load perfectly and do not contaminate the developer. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?
    I do. When I used Photoflo 200 in the tank, next film developing session I would get these bubbles caught by the film reel, preventing the developer from getting to the film surface, rendering those spots basically undeveloped. It's just at the edge of the 120 film frames, but still irritating as it does affect a portion of the image area.
    I did not use excessive amounts of wetting agent, and I do give the dev tank a good couple of whacks on a folded up towel on the counter top to attempt dislodging any such bubbles, and still had this occur. Once I stopped using Photoflo in the tank the problem persisted for a while until I bought a new tank and new reels, and the problem went away.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been seesawing rolls of film through Photoflo in distilled water in a Tupperware container with no problems for forty years. I only use the mixture for one session and then discard it, thoroughly rinse and dry the container. Since I just use a few drops of Photoflo each time it is the least costly of all the materials involved.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Out of curiosity, if PhotoFlo is causing all of those issues, why are people using it, and not something benign like Ilfotol or LFN? Or do those cause the same problems? I've had none yet...
    I have had none of those issues with any of the products you mentioned.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem using PhotoFlo in a Jobo Expert Tank has been validated by Jobo and Jobo makes that recommendation for those tanks and those tanks alone.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin