Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,430   Online: 939

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have had none of those issues with any of the products you mentioned.
    None for me either. But I use only 2 or 3 drops of Photo-Flo for 250 ml of water. Just enough to reduce the surface tension of the water. Photo-Flo uses an anti-foaming agent that contains a tallowate component which can leave a greasy residue. A periodic soaking overnight in a 2% solution of sodium carbonate helps clean any reels.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem using PhotoFlo in a Jobo Expert Tank has been validated by Jobo and Jobo makes that recommendation for those tanks and those tanks alone.
    As I don't use Jobo, I'm not familiar with that advice, Sirius. Would you mind sharing if their advice also applied to other wetting agents, such as Ilfotol or LFN? Many thanks.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    As I don't use Jobo, I'm not familiar with that advice, Sirius. Would you mind sharing if their advice also applied to other wetting agents, such as Ilfotol or LFN? Many thanks.
    Jobo states that of all wetting agents.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    None for me either. But I use only 2 or 3 drops of Photo-Flo for 250 ml of water. Just enough to reduce the surface tension of the water. Photo-Flo uses an anti-foaming agent that contains a tallowate component which can leave a greasy residue. A periodic soaking overnight in a 2% solution of sodium carbonate helps clean any reels.
    A minor detail, it helps to read the instructions and follow them.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt Ilfotol is any different than Photoflo-200. Even the dilution is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    I have been seesawing rolls of film through Photoflo in distilled water in a Tupperware container with no problems for forty years. I only use the mixture for one session and then discard it, thoroughly rinse and dry the container. Since I just use a few drops of Photoflo each time it is the least costly of all the materials involved.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Amen. Simple, easy, works.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Sepiareverb, what was the nature of the issues you had with PhotoFlo that others didn't cause? By the way, I thought Sistan was not a wetting agent, but an anti-silvering protective solution (potassium thiocyanate I think), but I have no experience of it. Got a bottle, though...

PS. MSDS lists Potassium thiocyanate as 15-20% and Polyoxyethylated Octyl Phenol as 5-10%.
    I've had streaks with PhotoFlo and none of the others. I've always mixed chemistry very carefully, to the directions till I find a reason to do otherwise. My final rinse is now a mix of Sistan and Sprint End Run.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    And I have never had a problem with PhotoFlo but then I only have 50 years of experience with it.
    Me too, with the final Photoflo 200 rinse diluted much more than Kodak recommends with the film on SS reels in a tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    I've had streaks with PhotoFlo and none of the others. I've always mixed chemistry very carefully, to the directions till I find a reason to do otherwise. My final rinse is now a mix of Sistan and Sprint End Run.
    May I suggest you just posted a reason not to follow Kodak's directions? I wash medium format film in 500 mL of distilled water. There is no way I would put 2.5 mL of Photoflo in there as Kodak suggests. I wouldn't even put in a milliliter. I use a medicine dropper and just put in a few drops. As everyone else is posting you only need enough to break surface tension. This thread is comical because Photoflo is the last chemical you really should reuse. It costs literally nothing to mix it up new for each session or as I do for each roll of film. Distilled water is a greater expense at ~$0.84 a gallon.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin