Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,335   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The Starn twins just had a show of work in Cincinnati where the work was lit by an arc light that faded the prints through intense UV over the month of display. Viewers had to wear eye protection and were offered sunscreen at the door.

Commercially, there was a machine we printed with called a stabilizer processor. It developed the print with a concentrated developer solution, then "stabilized" the print with a second solution. It worked like a fixer, but only temporarily. Under display, it would darken to obscurity. I believe Adorama still sells this stuff, so you might be able to get some and use it in place of fixer.

would have LOVED to see the starn twins work !
    maybe... someday ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    Another thing, how will the people know its meant to mean fading and its not just a very bad print? You should hang it next to a proper archival print so people can have a frame of reference. Just saying :P
    Just write an artist statement. They should have one anyway
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually had this exact idea about a year ago. However, lacking a place to install the prints publicly, as well as the patience to figure out how to get them to deteriorate slowly, I gave up.

Best of luck! Return with results!
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow - thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions! I apologize for the belated response; had family troubles shortly after my initial posting so I did not have time to check the board.

Just to provide a context to the proposed installation - the wall of "fading" photographs will be mirrored on the opposite wall with "archival" photographs. So it starts off looking like two identical walls, but will change as the viewer revisits the installation later on.

I think the trick is to ensure that the photos on the "fading" wall deterioriate at different rates. It sounds like I will have lots of experimenting to do in the darkroom!

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin