Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,288   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Unusual request - making prints unarchival

Hi all,

This is a bit of an unusual request/question as most photographers are concerned about archival rather than impermanence.

I'm planning a conceptual installation piece and my idea is for one wall of b&w photographs to deteriorate during the installation period of 4-6 weeks to simulate fading of memories.

I've looked through my books and done some internet searches - there's a lot on what to do to make prints archival but nothing on what not to do . Does anyone know of any chemicals / processes that I can utilize to make the prints "unarchival" so that they will visibly change over 4-6 weeks?

Much appreciated for any suggestions.

- Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    most prints nowdays are labelled "archival something or other" just label them "unarchival"

fixer is the key, or lack of good fixer, not enough time in the fixer. good luck on the timing
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do not fix them, and depending on the light conditions perhaps residues could darken it instead of making it fade....
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Illuminate them with UV at night, when people are not looking.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    Do not fix them, and depending on the light conditions perhaps residues could darken it instead of making it fade....
    or very lightly fix then hang under UV light.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about under fix and under wash? I am not sure if you can control how fast they decay though....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad that POP isn't available any more

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    Yes that is what would happen; the undeveloped silver would slowly darken, especially under UV to green light. you could also fix them but don't rinse, which would give you a brown stain as the silver slowly converts to silver sulphide. If you have a brightly-lit space, you could print with a non-analogue ink-squirter using cheap dye-based inks which quickly fade in bright light; done this way the colour balance would alter as the inks degrade at different rates. But you didn't hear that from me on APUG...

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sponge a weak C6N6FeK3 solution over the prints after you hang the exhibit, and stand back and enjoy.

(Test and find the right ratio/effect first)

As others have said UV light and inadequate fixing help.

I have a drawer full of unfixed stabilization processed prints that are still good, but set them out on a desk for a week and watch them go to brown. I am sure you can find some of this paper (I used to use a lot of it) and mixing the chemistry if you can't find any would be easy.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/g12/g12.pdf
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 12-04-2012 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Potassium Ferricyanide and a short wash maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin