Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,333   Online: 698

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    In the late 1970s I used a 35mm Kodak direct positive B&W film marketed for scientific use, and not generally available in stores. As I recall, it was red until developed, and very slow, maybe ISO 3. It was developed in Dektol print developer. Another way to make B&W positives is to copy negatives with a high contrast film like the late Kodak Tech Pan.
    This sounds like one of the many Kodak Autopositive products. They were marketed as part of Kodak's Reprographic line through blueprint and industrial dealers. Most were extreme contrast materials. I remember the papers had to be exposed through a yellow filter for the automatic reversal effect to work.

There was also a special order medium contrast automatic reversal material available for several years (I think in the 80s or 90s). It was also developed in Dektol and had about that speed. It had a number of industrial uses and was particularly popular for making enlarged negatives for contact printing. It had a rather high inherent fog level, which limited its usefulness and quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    there is still a direct positive B&W material available for the motion film industry. its great stuff.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    There is Agfa's SCALA. NO idea if this is still available, even as ancient, long-expired stock in somebody's toy box...
    Still available. Warehouse stock.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, the term "direct-positive" is used differently in literature and by manufacturers:
    It can mean processing with single developing stage, reversal processing, or even a diffusion process.
    Very confusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    SCALA is available from FOTOIMPEX..

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Not that I can recall from Kodak, and I did use Kodak B&W for about a decade to 1990, along with Kodachrome.
    There is Agfa's SCALA. NO idea if this is still available, even as ancient, long-expired stock in somebody's toy box.... Very little is still available by way of film from Kodak.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin