Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,354   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Did Kodak Once Produce a Black & White Slide Film?

Did Kodak ever produce or market a black and white film specifically for slides?

Way back in about 1968 when I was around 15 years old on a family vacation in the Smokey Mountains, I seem to recall seeing Kodak film boxs that stated "For Back & White Slides." That was 44 years ago and I was young, but I have often wondered since then if I really saw film for black & white slides, or if I just imagine that I saw it. At the time everyone in the family used only Kodachrome but black & white did interest me.

If Kodak did make such a film, what was it?

Thanks,

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only Black And White slide films I ever shot was Agfa - Dia Direct, (although the results form the lab here in Melbourne were more sepia than black & white), and Scala - which produced stunning results..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not that I can recall from Kodak, and I did use Kodak B&W for about a decade to 1990, along with Kodachrome.
    There is Agfa's SCALA. NO idea if this is still available, even as ancient, long-expired stock in somebody's toy box.... Very little is still available by way of film from Kodak.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There was a kit to reversal process black and white film. For example Panatomic-X at EI 80. I used it quite a bit.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Did Koadk Once Produce a Black & White Slide Film?

If my memory serves me I believe there was something called Direct Positive film and paper that utilized the old reversal kit that was also used for panatomic-x. The paper was used in those photo booths that gave 4 prints on a strip.

Doug

Shooter
    35mm RF

B & W slide

Hi,
    I am doing b&w slide from Kodak Tmax 100 iso shoot at 50 iso.
    From there, I am using Reversal processing for T-MAX film from
    Photographers Formulary.
    Product no: 01-0600.
    You can get it from Formulary, B&H or Adorama.
    It work well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absolutely yes! It was called Direct Positive film and was available in 135 and 828 sizes. It was a panchromatic (Type B) film with an ISO 80 daylight speed (64 tungsten). They started making it sometime after WWII, probably in the very late 40s. I can remember seeing it on the shelves in the early 50s. It was discontinued sometime in the early 70s, I think. (I have a 1969 film pamphlet that still lists it.) After a while, Kodak started recommending reversal processing of first Panatomic-X and then TMax-100 as a substitute. People who could use long rolls also shot Kodak's reversal motion picture products to produce slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gevaert were the first to market a B&W slide film, this evolved over the years to become Agfa Gevaert Dia Direct and eventually Scala.

I remember using a Kodak Positive film in the late 1960's or early 70's but it was orthochromatic and used for making Positives from negative and also quite slow.

Not sure if it's still Ok but I have a box of Kodak Direct Positive 10x8 film used for making duplicate negatives (or positives) without reversal.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe it was the Direct Positive film that I saw, if I really did see such a thing. In my mind I can picture the yellow box with black lettering. As I said, however, this was nearly 45 years ago and I was only around 15, but it caught my attention.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does T-Max 100 work well for reverse processing? As I recall, it doesn't have a very clear base.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin