Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,885   Online: 1057

Thread: Agfa APX 400

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa APX 400

I just found five rolls of unexposed Agfa APX400 that was in the back of a closet in my house. It has a process by date of July, 2008 on it.

Any thoughts as to whether it would be good still?

I really liked that film and haven't found a replacement that I like, so any suggestions along those lines would be appreciated as well.

Doug Earle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa APX 400

Yes, it should still be just fine. Four years is nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just shot through some APX 100/400 that was almost a decade old. Looked great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I have discovered about APX 400 is that it accumulates base fog really fast past expiration, especially if it hasn't been cold stored. But if you have a strong enlarger light source you'll print right through it, so not much to worry about there.

Just put a roll through to see where you're at exposure wise, and use the other four if your find no major issues.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What I have discovered about APX 400 is that it accumulates base fog really fast past expiration, especially if it hasn't been cold stored. But if you have a strong enlarger light source you'll print right through it, so not much to worry about there.

Just put a roll through to see where you're at exposure wise, and use the other four if your find no major issues.
    That is my experience too with every 400 film I've used. You will also probably see a bit of increase in grain. Still it should not show any major issues if stored reasonably well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This has been in a closet at room temp. Main thing we worry about in South Texas is heat, but this has been air conditioned the entire time.

I'll give it a try and let you all know how it delivers.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i shot some tri-x a while ago that expire in 1978 and it printed fine. some fog, nothing bad, like a neutral density filter.

so this agfa should be fine. you got nothing to lose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    i shot some tri-x a while ago that expire in 1978 and it printed fine. some fog, nothing bad, like a neutral density filter.

so this agfa should be fine. you got nothing to lose.
    I have done this also, and the 8x10s looked good, although a bit grainy and higher base fog. When I printed those negatives larger, however, the extra grain and film base fog was much more of a problem to overcome, and it was difficult at best to get a fine print.
    I guess it depends on what your prerogatives are. If you're looking to use the film for exhibition grade prints, then it's best to test it first. If it's more casual shooting for pleasure only, then it may not matter as much, and the element of surprise that comes with older film may even be welcome in the 'fun factor'.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin