Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,765   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Let's all agree that those who make Sodium Sulfite commercially usually don't resort to APUG for instructions ...
    And your point is ?

On a smaller scale it's still an easy way to make concentrated Sulphite solutions, and to overcome Geralds comments about heat and spalttering you carry out the addition of the hydroxide slowly.

It's not rocket science and quite similar to making your own Sodium Metaborate (Kodalk) from Borax and Sodium Hydroxide which was quite normal outside the US where Metaborate was always harder to get hold of.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sodium Metabisulfite vs Sodium Sulfite

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    And your point is ?

On a smaller scale it's still an easy way to make concentrated Sulphite solutions, and to overcome Geralds comments about heat and spalttering you carry out the addition of the hydroxide slowly.

It's not rocket science and quite similar to making your own Sodium Metaborate (Kodalk) from Borax and Sodium Hydroxide which was quite normal outside the US where Metaborate was always harder to get hold of.

Ian
    We don't have kodalk here in Brazil. Thanks for this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luizjorgemn View Post
    We don't have kodalk here in Brazil. Thanks for this!
    Look at Mike Wilde's precious posting for instructions on how to replace Kodalk with Borax and Sodium Hydroxide.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can go through sulfite pretty fast mixing developers to try different ones. Anyway, I don't have a problem buying sulfite, just have this 5 pound bag of the metabisulfite that I'd like to use up. NaOH I have as well so using a bit to convert the MBS in small quantities might be doable. Till it gets used for some other things as well, that ought to take care of it. Thanks!
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sodium Metabisulfite vs Sodium Sulfite

Look at Mike Wilde's precious posting for instructions on how to replace Kodalk with Borax and Sodium Hydroxide.
    Really precious adice. Thanks very much!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not worth it at all. Why make it so tough on yourself? Sodium sulfite is about $1.50/lb.
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jim, a chemical that you have sitting around unused and with no future purpose is basically free. That's hard to beat!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if those in the US realise how relatively easy and inexpensive it seems to be to obtain raw chemicals there.
    Much more difficult in the UK, can't speak for the rest of Europe
    examples: Sulfite comes in at about $6 /500g, while I've just seen Metaborate at $45 /500g from one of our (few) photographic chemistry suppliers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim, a chemical that you have sitting around unused and with no future purpose is basically free. That's hard to beat!
    It's far from free when you factor in the time, trouble and perhaps other chemicals needed to convert it. And the OP lives in the US. Converting sodium metabisulfite to sodium sulfite rather than buying some is what I would have to call "penny wise and pound foolish".
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's only free if you think that your time and effort isn't worth anything.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin