Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,343   Online: 811

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How do I deal with a pin hole on neg?

I have a 6x8 film image that I'd like to print. There is one problem. There is a pin hole on it. The hole is really tiny. When enlarged to 16x20 size (which is my target size), the hole is about 0.5mm in size. Since it is a pin hole, it will print as a dark black spot. The paper will be Pearl RC so what I can do is kind of limited.

Is there an old timer way of fixing this on neg so it isn't so obvious?

"Way Beyond..." book shows one method which is to paint on the neg so the black dot becomes a white dot, then to use spotting technique on print to remove it. I don't think it's practical on this image due to size.

I'm hoping someone has a trick or two to share....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's the way to go. I use opaque. Turn the pinhole into a black dot on neg = white dot on print. Much, much easier to spot. If you try to go gray, then there will be a halo. Easier to retouch a pure white spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill, what do you use to touch up the film??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second turning it into a white spot with an opaque applicant of some sort. I never like doing anything to negatives, but I tried the etching-print-then-spot method, but the spotting then spreads like crazy and is worse. I know as a print it looks worse, but you're not going to find a better method. You can use a high concentrate bleach, but it will be the same size as the negative retouching opaque technique, but at least you only have to do it once and not every time you print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak used to make a red opaque mask that came in a small bottle. I have one and I think it's pretty dried out but if it's like Spotone, a bit of water on a brush to grab a bit should work. I'll see if I can dig it out and get the info...

ok, just went down to the cave. It's called Kodak Opaque Red. I also have the Opaque Black. Not sure where you could find that particular item but I imagine a good art supply or graphic arts store would have a clue as something similar was used heavily in pre-press work I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found what appears to be a similar product to Kodak Opaque.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Masking.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Masking.html

Are Kodak films in 120 format such as Tmax and Tri-X polyester or "standard" base? (whatever "standard" might be??)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    crocein scarlet can be used for this. I have a bottle, but I don't think it's available new anymore. I imagine spot-tone could also work. Try painting it on the back of the film. Some large format films have a gelatin layer on the back just for retouching. Of course I should warn you that my last attempt at fixing a pinhole with these methods were not a 100% success. It worked, but you could still see evidence of the spot if you looked closely.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One word - DPUG...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One word - NO...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how the pin hole got there in the first place.... I NEVER had this happen to any of my film before....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin