Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 832

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What you call "wannabe" is also far into the red. And do not forget that Kodak TP is based on technology from decennias ago.
    That wannabe is a recent design.
    I agree.
    Its Internet legend that Kodak discovered new horizons with TechPan.
    Kodak was reading AGFA's reparation docs after WWII, not the other way around.
    Sensitizing with precious elements was quite an interesting read
    Last edited by georg16nik; 12-11-2012 at 08:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    Right now I have too much information and too many contradicting opinions, and I'm confused even more - the great internet can be a real pain in the ass
    Then the only solution is to test for yourself. When I present data (characteristic curves) for films like CMS20, people argue I'm wrong, but despite repeated requests nobody has presented any curves to support what they think they see out of these films. Instead they post image scans that contradict their own claims. More examples just above - high contrast, harsh gradation, blank shadows etc. If that is the look you are after I have no argument against it. After all photography is about personal aesthetics.

If you are at all concerned with tonality and flexibility under a variety of contrast conditions please do your own testing and be very skeptical of what you read. If you like what you're seeing, by all means use these films. Just be aware they are special purpose films and as such will never give you anywhere near the overall utility, flexibility and quality of general purpose films. There are always tradeoffs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What you call "wannabe" is also far into the red. And do not forget that Kodak TP is based on technology from decennias ago.
    That wannabe is a recent design.
    I have no doubt that the Agfa-Gevaert Aviphot film named here AdvancedTechnical Pan ATP1.1 is a very nice film. I simply don't like the distributors attitude ;-)

@ Michael R: that's a general problem and always has been.
    Last edited by grommi; 12-11-2012 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) Rollei ATP is NOT an Aviphot film

-) I share your attitudes on Maco's attitudes...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    -) Rollei ATP is NOT an Aviphot film
    Package says made by Agfa Belgium with the red rhombus. So what film is it? I'm tired of guessing......

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the film is made by Agfa.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Then the only solution is to test for yourself. When I present data (characteristic curves) for films like CMS20, people argue I'm wrong, but despite repeated requests nobody has presented any curves to support what they think they see out of these films. Instead they post image scans that contradict their own claims. More examples just above - high contrast, harsh gradation, blank shadows etc. If that is the look you are after I have no argument against it. After all photography is about personal aesthetics.

If you are at all concerned with tonality and flexibility under a variety of contrast conditions please do your own testing and be very skeptical of what you read. If you like what you're seeing, by all means use these films. Just be aware they are special purpose films and as such will never give you anywhere near the overall utility, flexibility and quality of general purpose films. There are always tradeoffs.
    Point taken, I didn't look too much into the posted images - hard to tell if it is the film or scan or screen calibration that created the high contrast...

I've shot a dozen rolls of Rollei Pan 25/Rodinol and aside from a few film defects, I like it so far, probably more than Ilford Delta 100. But I just read it's being discontinued (the current emulsion is in fact Efke 25), so I'd rather try something else... I ordered a few rolls of ATP, and will soon try TMAX/Xtol...

My experience with Tech pan was limited and I mostly shot some blast furnaces in low contrast lighting and was more concerned with detail.

On another note Mike, do you know of any good drum scanning services in Montreal ? I just had a really bad experience with Photosynthèse...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree the best way will be to try some of these films and see what you can do with them. They will take some practice and experimentation though (as will any film/developer combo) so if you want to experiment with a few different films like ATP, CMS etc you'll have to do more than a few rolls if you want to really compare them. Particularly with these high contrast films, there are lots of ways to develop them, get different curves etc, so don't be discouraged if the first several rolls are a bust. If ATP is similar to Tech Pan it will probably be a little easier to use than CMS20.

Regarding drum scanning, I can't help you there. I'm a darkroom printer and have zero experience/knowledge when it comes to scanning - particularly high quality drum scanning. You might want to give Photo Service a call since they have a lab that does work for pro photographers. I don't know if they do drum scanning per se but they could probably point you to the right places to get it done properly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin