Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,742   Online: 921

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I am not an expert on the galleries, but aren't the scans in APUG galleries supposed to be scans of analog prints?
    I don't think it matters.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I am not an expert on the galleries, but aren't the scans in APUG galleries supposed to be scans of analog prints?
    Ideally but seems most people post negative scans these days unfortunately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I am not expert. Lets talk about negative films and D76 development and scanning on a desktop scanner for APUG galleries.
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and I can buy Tri X or Delta 100. Film will be 120 class.

I used Tri X, Plus X and Agfa Films past 20 years and with LTM.

Do Delta 100 have a advantage over other films ? I have extremelly tight budget now and I buy 2 rolls in 3 months.

Umut
    I don't see how differences in d-max would be relevant at all when scanning B&W negatives for online galleries. Tri-X, Delta, TMax etc etc are all capable of producing higher maximum silver densities (in D76 or any other developer) than you'd realistically ever need to produce scans, prints, whatever. Concentrate on exposure and contrast. For practical photographic purposes the d-max of any current general purpose B&W negative film from Ilford, Kodak, Fuji etc is a virtually irrelevant number.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 12-10-2012 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I find that any scan of a print falls far short of the quality of image from a negative or slide scan, and that is what I post in my gallery. No one has complained yet.

As for a scan of a negative, then the dmin and slope of the negative curve determine the dmax of the positive image you obtain. However, the Dmax of the positive is adjustable by the scanner software, and this is because of the variations in negatives, and the "color" of the B&W negative image that can be obtained.

So, the bottom line is that with good software, the Dmax of just about all scans can be adjusted to be the same. In terms of darkroom work, this is the equivalent to increasing exposure and contrast. This may indicate that the films are over or under developed. It is impossible to say without tests though.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Mustafa,

You probably used the drum scanner in the graphic arts industry. There, a Dmax of 4.0 is common and desirable. At least when it comes to film used for platemaking. My densitometer can display 6.0 densities but I doubt the precision of these high density readings.

In pictorial photography, using black and white negatives, it's not necessary to build great density. Density of 1.5 is going to make white on the print. You do not need the highest Dmax.

A 100 speed film in your Zeiss Ikon Nettar will have an advantage over 400 speed film in some cases for obvious logical reasons: The finer grain. You get to take advantage of this if you use a high shutter speed, flash or a tripod. But if you walk and shoot casual snapshots in average conditions, I think a 400 speed film will really give better pictures because you will not have as much camera shake.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you for helping hand , I am quite understood.

I always posted negative scans done at Gretag Printer. I dont know why but color scans resist to my process attemps with softwares and whatever I do , result is worse. I did few attemps and put to the gallery but they are shame.

My softwares are online photo editors and people use it to put a christmas tree or smiling mickey to the pictures

I am waiting an lightmeter from New Mexico and I believe in what optical designer accomplished and what kodak , agfa engineers accomplished for normal development and exposure.

I thought Rollei ATP and Rodinal 1/150 is the closest thing to Zeiss Triotar pictures and I have a triplet also and the most extreme thing I will do to take acutance to extreme by this way.

Other thing is HC110 high dilution development on Tri X and above and below have similar results .

I dont have a scanner and I will go to the lab and use their desktop scanner.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am not expert. Lets talk about negative films and D76 development and scanning on a desktop scanner for APUG galleries.
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and I can buy Tri X or Delta 100. Film will be 120 class.

I used Tri X, Plus X and Agfa Films past 20 years and with LTM.

Do Delta 100 have a advantage over other films ? I have extremelly tight budget now and I buy 2 rolls in 3 months.

Umut
    No, in a generic sense, neither has an advantage. Both will do great work.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    DMAX on the dr5 site or the 'filmreview' pages refers to the blackest areas of the films. In other words, where there isn't any image - to put it simply. The films run in dr5 are processed as transparencies/slides. DMAX is used in all measurement of transparencies, be they B&W or color.
    How DMAX is used in other areas of photography is different.

dw

How Dmax analysis results effects the final photograph.

I was a Crossfield 656 Drum Scanner operator and highest black was coming from Leica IIIC with Elmar 50mm and it was 3.5 , film was Kodak EPP. I scanned 8x10 US Ford Slides to anything and this was the highest in 4 years , year 1994-98.

Was it the thing called DMax ?

I visited DR5 and it says Delta have 4.5 , I remember Photo Engineer told about cine film copying film and was Dmax was 4.

Can someone shed a light on Delta 100 films and I am very excited.

Umut

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    DMAX on the dr5 site or the 'filmreview' pages refers to the blackest areas of the films. In other words, where there isn't any image - to put it simply. The films run in dr5 are processed as transparencies/slides. DMAX is used in all measurement of transparencies, be they B&W or color.
    How DMAX is used in other areas of photography is different.

dw
    Thanks dw,

DMAX when you are talking about transparencies is important, the people watching a slide show see how rich the slides are. A low DMAX in a projected slide looks muddy or washed out.

(Compare this to printing from negatives where you choose the contrast of printing paper to make blacks richer).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two types of Dmax.

Absolute Dmax is the highest value density a given photo product will give in a development condition that forms silver metal from silver halide. An example would be treatment in sodium sulfide solution which reduces the silver halide to silver metal. This can range from 3.0 - 5.0

Effective Dmax is the Dmax obtained in any given developer in which the curve and speed are optimum for the film. These two may differ by a substantial amount. This is usually 3.0 - 4.0

There is a third type, related only to print materials, in which Dmax is governed by the reflective support itself and this value is always limited to a maximum value by nature of the reflective material itself and not the amount of silver formed, nor by development. It is usually between 1.8 and 2.2.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin