Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,060   Online: 1120
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355

    Fogged or what is this?

    Need help. Frustated.
    I developed about twenty pictures a while ago. Ilford FB Neutral tone, I used a two bath Alkaline fixer. They where washed and they looked fine. Yestreday I soaked them and toned them in Selenium lightly washed them again and toned them in Sepia (the rotten eggs one in winter at night with an open window, brrr..). Then washed them again and put them in Sistan (the Adox version) and stretched them on glass to get them flat. Now they are yellow.
    Does anybody have an idea where I should look first to try and solve the problem.
    If the paper is fogged is it possible to see the fogging only after it is toned in Sepia, thus the yellow. Where before it actually looked fine. Could it be the Sistan? I know if it does not get wipped off properly it may stain.
    I am going to try a few things and see if I an find the solution and will post.

  2. #2
    Jim Noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,892
    Blog Entries
    1
    It sounds like the prints were not washed adequately after the first processing.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

  3. #3
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,682
    Images
    14
    Sepia toning is showing that the prints were probably not fixed or washed properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    Need help. Frustated.
    I developed about twenty pictures a while ago. Ilford FB Neutral tone, I used a two bath Alkaline fixer. They where washed and they looked fine. Yestreday I soaked them and toned them in Selenium lightly washed them again and toned them in Sepia (the rotten eggs one in winter at night with an open window, brrr..). Then washed them again and put them in Sistan (the Adox version) and stretched them on glass to get them flat. Now they are yellow.
    Does anybody have an idea where I should look first to try and solve the problem.
    If the paper is fogged is it possible to see the fogging only after it is toned in Sepia, thus the yellow. Where before it actually looked fine. Could it be the Sistan? I know if it does not get wipped off properly it may stain.
    I am going to try a few things and see if I an find the solution and will post.

  4. #4
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355
    Not washed properly when. After the fixing the Selenium toning or after the Sepia. Or does this mean in general at any stage

  5. #5
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It sounds like the prints were not washed adequately after the first processing.
    OK saw this only after reading twice, why does sepia stain after the initial wash when toned and washed again before sepia toning. I would say I always wash properly but of course it is possible I goofed up somewhere.
    I doubt it could be up to being badly fixed since I always use two fixing baths.

  6. #6
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,682
    Images
    14
    Yellowing will show with inadequate fixing/washing, not saying you did anything wrong, sounds like you are using a two bath fix, hypo clear and proper wash before you start toning. Other than this sometimes you can pick up tone from dirty trays but only as a scuff.

    exhausted fixer maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    OK saw this only after reading twice, why does sepia stain after the initial wash when toned and washed again before sepia toning. I would say I always wash properly but of course it is possible I goofed up somewhere.
    I doubt it could be up to being badly fixed since I always use two fixing baths.

  7. #7
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,682
    Images
    14
    after the fixing
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    Not washed properly when. After the fixing the Selenium toning or after the Sepia. Or does this mean in general at any stage

  8. #8
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355
    I just finished some tests with the pictures. On some out of the series not yet toned. I put a drop of sepia working solution and 1+9, as well as selenium working solution and 1+9. On the white of the prints in a dry state leaving them there for about 4 to 10 minutes.
    Well with the selenium I can not really say anything happened. But the sepia did leave a stain the fresh 1+9 solution a lot.
    They have not been washed afterwards(I do not know if this is important for this).
    So it seems they were not washed properly.
    Damn this.
    Is this a reliable test?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    544
    Hi Andreas,

    I think that from your descriptions, the prints were underfixed. The reason I think this is because when you fix prints, you're removing the unexposed and undeveloped silver halide salts from the paper. When you bleach the prints with toning bleach, the metallic silver that forms the image, is converted into silver halides and any undeveloped silver halide salts remaining in the paper will also rehalogenise. When you put the print into the toner, the toner converts the halide salts into silver sulphide, which forms the toned visible image. So any silver halide salts that didn't get removed by the fixer will become visible as a yellow or sepia stain. hence the stain when you did your test.

    Perhaps your fixer was exhausted, not strong enough, or you didn't fix long enough. I don't know. I've never used alkaline fixers so I don't know how effective they are. You could change to a standard acid fixer like HYPAM if your problems persist.

    If it was a washing problem, any fixing salts (thiosuphates) remaining after fixing will combine with the toning bleach (potassium ferricyanide) to form Farmer's Reducer which can erode the rehalogenised silver salts. You'll notice the disappearance of fine detail and light, subtle tones. These is ammonium thiosulphate in selenium toner, so always wash well after selenium toning prints, especially if using a fibre-based paper.

    You might find the following web page useful: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ar.../archival.html Good luck, I hope you solve your problems. :-)

    Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 12-11-2012 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

  10. #10
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355
    Thanks all for the replies. The thing is I use Fixer from Moersch and he told me if it fresh the picture is fixed within 30 sec. at 1+5. Using two baths I fix 1 min in each. I am using sepia direct toner so no bleaching is taking place.
    Since there is Ammonium Thiosulfate in Selenium wouldn't that actually fix the print somewhat.
    I am going to test my fixer tomorrow to see if there is a problem there. Personally I do believe I stuffed up with the washing somewhere, it has to happen sometime. This is my first and hopefully my last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin