Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,637   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Great mate - would be interested in your thoughts on the paper....cheers! Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I wonder how long it would of taken if you had to order it from the local supplier....
    probably, never. If its not on their list it doesn't exist....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I spoke to one of the sales guys in Michaels he said they couldn't get it and mentioned that one of their clients was buying it in rolls direct from the UK. It sounded like they would be happy to stock it if it were available.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW – I first contacted Vanbar Sydney and they suggested that I would be better off going direct (i.e Harmon) as they felt that there just wan't a large enough market for such a product in Oz. Paul, did you try Vanbar Melbourne out of curiosity?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It was listed in the Vanbar catalog earlier this year, but not now so I didn't bother asking. My last few experiences at Vanbar have not been great. They seem to have picked up some new staff who aren't very knowledgeable, so asking question is a waste of time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Paul, I work at Vanbar Melbourne in the lab, and the sales staff are knowledgeable. We do not have direct positive paper because they refuse to sell it to us. They won't bring it in (the distributor) with their other imports, even though it wouldn't be a burden to do so because of all the other Ilford stuff they bring in.

We already source some imported products directly because some distributors (who will remain nameless) are too lazy to add a new line in their database and import it for us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Paul, I buy my DPP from either Freestyle or B&H in the US, or Fotoimpex in Germany depending on what the exchange rates are doing and what other items I need. I could drop you a line with my next order likely to be in late in January.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Athiril, when I went to buy my Epson 3880 a few months back the guy who served me wasn't able to do much more than read the price off the screen so I went elsewhere. That was just as well as I would probably have bought the extended warranty from the company that went broke two weeks later (the other supplier warned me off them). Sure, some of the guys are great and I always got good service at Carlton and North Melbourne but since the move to Fitzroy things haven't been as good. PS, have a look at the price of the new A2 boxes of Ilford inkjet paper. It is a bit over four times the price of an A3 box, not double as you would expect. That is the fault of the distributor (who has been alerted to the issue) but it seems nobody at Vanbar cares that the customer is being charged double what they should be.

Andy, I think it will take me a while to get through 100 sheets - January might be a little too soon for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not interested in looking at inkjet papers, since I don't care about inkjet printing tbh at the moment. There is nothing they can do for you about the price, it's not a customer service issue at all. It's a distributor issue. The same reason why a roll of Fujichrome Provia 400X in 35mm costs $42. Because we get charged a certain amount to buy it from the distributor.

A large printer like that is not something that is bought often (it's very low volume, I dont know if I'm allowed to specifically say the number we've sold this year or in total, but it's not many at all), so we don't have a demo model for anyone to become familiar with, nor do we keep them in stock, they are order items.

There is no provided information or training, as it's the type of item people would specifically ask for, not browse the show room floor for. So I don't know how you expect someone to be knowledgeable out of experience with this, the only thing they can do for you is read out information from forums and reviews googling about it which you can do for yourself which is more in depth than the manufacturers web page on it.

I once contacted Ilford some time ago about importing materials directly from them, only to be told I cannot because Australia already has a distributor.

There are issues with importing (and we generally have to import overseas retail, rather than from a distributor or directly because they just wall us out) some things instead of buying from that a distributor, such as above, Fujichrome film, will lead to potentially angry distributor cutting us off, when that distributor has a lot of other things (such as the chems for our lab that we need, and many other things).

**Now consider that Ilford's distributor in Australia is CR Kennedys, no one is going to risk importing Ilford instead of buying from them (Such as your inkjet paper being too expensive, or Ilford film being more than 2x the price as overseas), as it's not just Ilford products, it's lenses, warranties, etc. Any large photo business who gets black listed and walled out from CR Kennedys is up a proverbial creek.

Often times the distributor can't do anything about prices either and actually attempt to be somewhat competitive instead of massively gouged, unless something is owned, which there is an example of a brand being able to be competitive in Australia on pricing that we carry.

There is another example of a brand that is sold much cheaper (lower than our cost price - they buy from the same distributor) in a different kind of shop around the corner, because that brand says prices for one type of store are higher than another, so we don't carry them, they refuse to play ball.

Other things, when a distributor actually helps us, is where staff can be helpful, Tamron comes in often and brings in stuff for us to try and brief on it's products etc. I tried the new 70-200/2.8 VC and it's really great.

Everything else is made from personal experience.

So I don't know how you can possibly say from an interaction with a single staff member over a single niche product that's not practical for anyone to be knowledgeable about unless they actually own one or get the chance to use one and call them unknowledgeable and yet apply that to everyone/the whole place and then say it's a waste of time asking a question at vanbar.
    Last edited by Athiril; 12-28-2012 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin