Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,683   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ilford/Harman DPP in Australia?

Does anybody know of a source for 8x10 Direct Positive Paper in Australia? My usual sources of analog stuff no longer have it listed and the distributor are lukewarm about getting more (not much demand they say - for a new product that hasn't been advertised in any way).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With no disrespect to those retailers in this country that do sell the very limited range of Ilford papers that are available to them (because they are tied to an indifferent distributor), my suggestion is to buy from O/S.

My choice woud be B&H if they have it in stock. It will be in your hands within a week. (obviously, it may pay to include other materials in your order, to offset the postage).

And a big Two Finger salute to our favourite Aussie Distributor...

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought Direct Positive paper to print and archive my Scala trannies. I wrote to Harmon in the UK and they sent out a box of 100 and a safelight filter. It was shipped first class post with no probs if this helps you..
    cheers,
    Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Did a bit of clicking on websites and it seems that B&H is a fair bet. Once you factor in postage I can buy four packs of 25 sheets for about $300. I'm also waiting to hear back from a UK seller about postage. Their initial cost was cheaper than B&H but postage from the UK is often quite expensive so we will see what happens there. I was hoping to be able to buy one pack locally just to check it out but it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend up.

Shooter
    35mm
    My quote last year from Harmon UK, was for a box of 100 DPP 10" x 8" was £ 94 and aprox £ 20 for postage to Oz, if this helps .............

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Was that for the RC paper? There is a note on their website saying they have had manufacturing issues with the RC paper and it is not available until they fix them. The FB paper is still available though, and thanks for the tip about their factory direct option - http://www.ilfordphoto.com/harmanexpress/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Paul,
    Yes it was for RC Lustre. If my aged memory serves me well – which it isn't of late, I can recall that they couldn't supply FB in boxes of 100; only in packets of 25, when I made the purchase AND only in Glossy. I would have preferred FB Matte or Lustre but there ya go. FYI the DPP MUST be used under an Ilford 906 (Ortho Deep Red) safelight with a 15w globe 1.2 mtrs from the paper in case you are planning on doing your own chemistry. The usual lot of Ilford chemistry works for this product too (Dev., Stop & Fixer) but it is a very slow paper equiv. ISO/ASA 25 I think?). The person I dealt with, who was fab-o, was named Helen in the Customer Service Team @ Harmon. Best of luck with the paper no matter where you source it from.......
    Cheers for now,
    Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well it looks like I'll be trying Harman Express. The quote from the dealer to ship four 25 sheet packs of paper to Australia was GBP99.00 which pushed it well past the B&H cost.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To follow up on my previous post; I eventually decided to order two packs (50 sheets) direct from Ilford and another 50 sheets from B&H. I ordered them on the same day (20/12/12) and both turned up today (27/12/12). According to my credit card ordering direct from Ilford was $5 cheaper (AUS$156 vs AUS$161). The product was cheaper from Ilford but the postage was more expensive because it went via UPS (B&H gave me the option of USPS). B&H was double boxed while Ilford sent in a shallow box with packaging peanuts to stop it sliding around. To summarise, either way would be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how long it would of taken if you had to order it from the local supplier....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin