Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,243   Online: 1015

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Washing tray developed 8 X 10 film

I'm getting ready to for the first time develop some 8 X 10 sheet film and plan to use Perma Wash after fixing. Three questions. 1) Any reason not to use the Perma Wash? 2) Should I do anything more than use a good washing in clean water for a minute or so. 3) Should Photo flo be the last step? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1-part of my process

2-definitely way more than a few minutes

3-yup

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perma Wash -- yes. I believe if Pyro PMK developer is used Perma Wash is not recommended.

Thorough washing of film and prints is the best policy. There a several washing techniques. Generally they involve a number of complete water changes. I use a Gravity Works washer that I have had for a number of years. It automatically fills and drains.

Be stingy with the Photo Flo ... a few drops in distilled water.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Best to use a larger tray (11x14) to develop 8x10. Because an 8x10 tray is harder to get one's fingers under the film, there is a greater chance of scratching the emulsion.
    I found out this the hard way.

I don't bother with perma-wash nor do I think it necessary. For fibre-based papers, yes, but film on a plastic base, no. I give the film a good rinse, then let sit in water for about 15 min, dump, rinse with agitation, sit in water 15 min, dump, rinse with agitation, one more cycle, then distilled water with photo-flo, hang to dry.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin