Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Life of weak (~1%) Potassium Ferricyanide solution?

I believe the dry chemical in brown bottles keeps about forever with proper storage, but what about solutions? I'd like to keep some on hand to save mixing every time, but as I can't get into the darkroom frequently I'm concerned if it's likely to go bad over time. While it's not that expensive, I don't want to waste it.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a problem IF the solution is protected from light and kept in a brown glass bottle.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Steve,
    i'd recommend not to store the solution for more than about a week. Always make only the amount you need in a forseeable time. The hexacyanoferrate(II) is light-sensitive and can be oxidized to iron (III) compounds, so a brown bottle is the least you can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do have appropriate small brown glass bottles for storage. Mainly I want to avoid the need to weigh out very tiny quantities like 0.25gm, which requires resolution better than my small electronic scale can provide.

How about a stronger ferri solution, like maybe 10%? Is there any storage advantage to that, again in a brown bottle? I have some small syringe bodies so measuring out 1-2 ml is not difficult.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Problem solved. I didn't realize how cheap a scale with 0.01g could be. $10 including shipping on you-know-where.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is 'you know where' Amazon or EBay? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    eBay in this case, I looked there first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    I'd recommend not to store the solution for more than about a week. Always make only the amount you need in a forseeable time. The hexacyanoferrate(II) is light-sensitive and can be oxidized to iron (III) compounds, so a brown bottle is the least you can do.
    Please note that Ferricyanide is the Fe-III complex (K3Fe(CN)6), so it won't be oxidized by O2.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't know about a weak solution, but I have a PET bottle of ferricyanide/bromide bleach that I use for bleach-redevelopment that is well over two years old and still works fine. It's about 2% if I remember correctly.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from experience, i'd guess >1 year.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin