Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,004   Online: 756

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Plus-X green base

Just developed 2 rolls of Plus-x and one roll of ilford pan f+ TOGETHER as the pan f+ needed a little push anyway.

I've never used Plus-X and only have 2 rolls left, but it came out with a really green base, I use brand new developer mixed and recent stop/fix. After I noticed the green I RE-FIXED one of the rolls for an additional 3 minutes, it didn't seem to change anything.

So is this normal? I was using Ilfsol 3. And ilford stop and rapid fix.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Plus-X green base

Example, I did my best, it's hard to show it properly...

Ilford pan f+ nest to plus-x

The ilford was a slight bit pink?, but green was more noticeable.

I really only fixed one other film in it before about 2 weeks ago, the fixer should last longer... And I already fixed it 1 minute more than normal.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    looks like the early 'safety' film of the 1960s. probably normal,but try two-bath fixing,followed by hca and a complete wash next time.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plus-X was made on a grey acetate base. The tech sheet says only the 135 size was grey, but in my experience, both roll sizes were that color.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with Plus X is that it always retained some color after fixing. The color will not affect the print or scan quality. It sometimes can be reduced by using a hypo clearing agent.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have few rolls left of Plus-X in 35mm (Exp 2004) with a green base so i would say it is normal. Newer Plus-X in 35mm does not have the green base.
    As Artonpaper is saying printing or scanning is not affected by the color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had that happen to me as well, when processed in HC-110.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Plus-X green base

Thanks guys, it expired in 2002 so I'm not sure if its new or old in terms of Plus-X history. But good to know.

I'm unfamiliar with two bath fixer...

I don't own any hypo clear, I've only recently been aware of it, and some say they never use it, others always, and so it's just another step to make the whole thing take longer, but I'll pick some up next time I'm any B&H...

Hypo makes the wash time shorter right? Can you use it in the tank or is it like wetting agent where it can affect the tank plastic so you have to use it in another container?

Thanks guys.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks guys, it expired in 2002 so I'm not sure if its new or old in terms of Plus-X history. But good to know.

I don't own any hypo clear, I've only recently been aware of it, and some say they never use it, others always, and so it's just another step to make the whole thing take longer, but I'll pick some up next time I'm any B&H...

Hypo makes the wash time shorter right? Can you use it in the tank or is it like wetting agent where it can affect the tank plastic so you have to use it in another container?

Thanks guys.

~Stone

2002 means it is the second most recent version of Plus-X - you need to be sure that you use the older times that apply to it.

And Stone, I have a request.

Please do not refer to Hypo Clearing Agent as "Hypo". "Hypo" is an old name for fixer. "Hypo Clearing Agent" is still the name for what should be referred to as "Fixer Clearing Agent" or Wash Aid. If you call something "Hypo", all of us "older" photographers are likely to become confused, and think you are talking about fixer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Thanks guys.

~Stone

Yes, Hypo Clearing Agent (Hypo is another name for fixer) does allow for less time washing.
    Regarding the green color cast...Its been a very long time since i used any Plus-X but, I do not remember it having a green tinted base...which doesn't mean anything. I would guess however, that the color may wash out with extended washing/soaking in slightly warmer water (eg around 30 degrees C).
    Last edited by BradS; 12-14-2012 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin