Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,534   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Medium Format

Making 10% Hydrochloric acid

How would I go about making 10% hydrochloric acid? I have sodium bisulfate, sodium chloride and I can also get muriatic acid from the hardware store.

I am interested in making a chromatic bleach that Tim Rudman suggests in pg. 121 of his book The Photographer's Master Printing Course. He suggests a bleach of 5% potassium dichromate and 10% hydrochloric acid diluted 1:1:6 with water. The formula looks similar to one in the Darkroom Cookbook (Formula #181 in the 3rd Edition).

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can buy 10% hydrochloric acid as a very strong de-calcifier at some of the big chain DIY shops, so you don't have to "make it". I doubt Tim Rudman suggested making it yourself. Be careful, it bites, rinse it of with water if you get on your hands, and wear safety goggles to prevent splashes in your eyes.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Muriatic acid _is_ hydrochloric acid, just dilute it as needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Commerrcial grade hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) 20 Baume is 31% hydrogen chloride. Just dilute it 1 part acid to 2 parts water.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-14-2012 at 09:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

And add the acid to water, not water to acid!! The water can boil and splash acid around if it is added to acid.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    You can buy 10% hydrochloric acid as a very strong de-calcifier at some of the big chain DIY shops.
    Also sold as concrete & patio cleaner in these parts - At 16%, it is still pretty nasty stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all; ended up diluting muriatic acid down to the required 10%

Going to try the bleach out later today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful what you mix with Hydrochloric acid, some reactions can produce chlorine gas (toxic )
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin