Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,961   Online: 885

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tri-X vs. T-Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I noticed the same in limited shooting with new T-Max 400. This characteristic, as a starting point for me, suggests I rate new -135 T-Max 400 at 320, use no light yellow filter, and gain speed for indoor portraits. Those small format images are likely to have a MF smooth look in 5x7 prints. I gain a stop on Tri-X and retain shadow contrast; at least I hope.
    Either you use it to gain shadow contrast, or use it for some other purpose. It's great to have versatile tools.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Works for me too and it starts at the original scene. Imagine the desired outcome and think like the paper. That guides everything from camera filters to exposure, developer/development routine and on and on to the final print.
    That is what makes many of the alt processes an interesting (and IMO, worthwhile) experience. The 'paper' becomes one of the variables. I can craft a 'paper' (in my case carbon tissue) to fit a negative, within limitations of the material, of course. This is just an extension of what you wrote...instead of "...thinking like the paper", one thinks like the process. And the image and process (both film and printing) are all one.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Edwal 12 has always been an interesting developer because it is fairly unique in its aim to produce extra-fine grain (lots of solvent action from both sulfite and PPD) with snappy contrast, so that you don't need to "overdevelop" for snap, which would otherwise destroy its extra fine grain properties. That differentiates it somewhat from the typical extra-fine grain D-23 variants like Microdol/Perceptol etc.
    Where do you get Edwal 12? Neither Freestyle nor Adorama nor B&H have it. Photographer's Formulary has something they say is the same, but it's pretty expensive - $15 a liter with a claimed shelf life of 2 months. I did find a mix it yourself formula on Digital Truth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X vs. T-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Where do you get Edwal 12? Neither Freestyle nor Adorama nor B&H have it. Photographer's Formulary has something they say is the same, but it's pretty expensive - $15 a liter with a claimed shelf life of 2 months. I did find a mix it yourself formula on Digital Truth.
    Developer 12 from Formulary, or mix yourself. B&H sells it as drop ship.

It lasts about a year if kept in those snazzy wine bladders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, and I see 1 litre is $14.95 while 2 is only $19.95

OTOH, I rarely shoot black and white in 35mm anymore and, when I do, it's usually in low light with TMZ, soon to be D3200. Grain isn't much of an issue for my medium format and not at all for my 4x5, so I'm not sure I need to experiment with yet another developer. But it's good to know anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Edwal 12 seems excellent. Never tried. I think I'm going to :-)

When TMX & TMY came out I tried, didn't like it at all and it was over. I kept shooting TRI-X / TXP till now.
    It is a given that with proper test and with use you get excellent results with TM. And match as seen on Thomas examples the 2 film for printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X vs. T-Max

Yeah, and I see 1 litre is $14.95 while 2 is only $19.95

OTOH, I rarely shoot black and white in 35mm anymore and, when I do, it's usually in low light with TMZ, soon to be D3200. Grain isn't much of an issue for my medium format and not at all for my 4x5, so I'm not sure I need to experiment with yet another developer. But it's good to know anyway.
    Grain is not the main reason for using this developer. It's all about tonality. It's great with Delta 3200, for example, where with most developers you have to kick it far down the road and develop for a long time to build enough contrast to make a neg that fits the process.
    Edwal 12 helps here by adding great intensity in the highlights, lessening the demand for really long dev times.

If you don't like the price of Edwal 12, Edwal 10 has almost identical tonality, but without the ultra fine grain. Recipe for it is easily found with a quick search.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X vs. T-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili View Post
    That Edwal 12 seems excellent. Never tried. I think I'm going to :-)

When TMX & TMY came out I tried, didn't like it at all and it was over. I kept shooting TRI-X / TXP till now.
    It is a given that with proper test and with use you get excellent results with TM. And match as seen on Thomas examples the 2 film for printing.
    It's really wonderful, G. But with your skill and technique I doubt you'll ever NEED Edwal 12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Grain is not the main reason for using this developer. It's all about tonality. It's great with Delta 3200, for example, where with most developers you have to kick it far down the road and develop for a long time to build enough contrast to make a neg that fits the process.
    Edwal 12 helps here by adding great intensity in the highlights, lessening the demand for really long dev times.

If you don't like the price of Edwal 12, Edwal 10 has almost identical tonality, but without the ultra fine grain. Recipe for it is easily found with a quick search.
    The price is not prohibitive. I use T-Max RS for many films now and it's not exactly cheap. $20 for 2 liters isn't cheap, but it's do-able. I'm pretty satisfied with what I use now though.

I can see that, with D3200, IF you wanted to shoot it at slower speeds like 1000 or so, you'd want an extra-contrast developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X vs. T-Max

The price is not prohibitive. I use T-Max RS for many films now and it's not exactly cheap. $20 for 2 liters isn't cheap, but it's do-able. I'm pretty satisfied with what I use now though.

I can see that, with D3200, IF you wanted to shoot it at slower speeds like 1000 or so, you'd want an extra-contrast developer.
    Yes, really useful with D3200. Also fantastically useful with flat lighting, and with normal lighting you get these highlights, where I get them to hoover right on the brink of blocking up, but not quite. Those highlights prints so beautifully, and I love it for portraiture and some other things.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin