Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,400   Online: 976

Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium to High Contrast Film + D-76 / Rodinal

Hi all, I was thinking of gifting myself some new film for this Christmas,
    and was trying to look for a good 200-400 ISO Bulk Film in my ~45eur(50$?) budget.

My developers are Rodinal and D-76, using a rotatory CPE with bit low and normal speed settings.

Which of these would be a good option for high contrast curves with mid-low grain using my developing setup?

Fomapan 400
    Fomapan 200
    Rollei Retro 400S
    Rollei RPX 400
    Agfa ASP 400S
    Rollei RPX 100 Pushed!
    Rollei Retro 100 Pushed!
    Kentmere 100 Pushed!
    Fomapan 100 Pushed!
    Fomapan 200 Pushed!

FOmapan 200 was my Default Choice so far...
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME Foma 100 wont get you to 200 no matter how hard you push. It does get contrasty FAST if that what you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Naturally high contrast and small grain? Pan-F is $50+postage for 100 feet of 35mm at B&H. Looks gorgeous in Rodinal.

Fomapan can be contrasty too but it is quite crunchy compared to Ilford offerings in the same speeds, not to mention it's about 2/3 stop slower than advertised in most developers. Think of the Fomapans as requiring a 1-stop push to achieve box speed and they really struggle beyond that point. They mostly get more contrasty without gaining much shadow detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    afrank,

As polyglot has alluded to, generally speaking higher speed films are less contrasty than slower films. So in your list of films, as you go from 100 to 200 to 400, if you want to generate a high contrast curve, you'll need to overdevelop more and more - which of course will tend to increase graininess, and faster films will be more grainy to begin with.

So to some extent your requests for both high contrast and low grain run counter to eachother.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all, I understand that contrast/speed increase gives grain, I was looking the one of those that gave the least with decent contrast.
    What about the rollei speeds?
    Why is PanF from Ilfrod so below the price of the deltas? Cant seem to find a supplier in EU for it tho...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollei 400S seems contrasty enough on rodinal. http://www.martinzimelka.com/pages/R...Retro400s.html
    Has anyone had experience with the mentioned light leakage sensitivity with this film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind the contrast in the attached examples has a lot to do with the lighting in the original scene. Depending on the lighting, conditions and colours of the subject matter, you may also be able to increase contrast with filters on the lens.

Also just a reminder a 400 speed film with Rodinal will be pretty grainy, depending on the size of the prints you make. You're shooting medium format so you have some more flexibility there. But in general you can get just as much contrast with D76 as Rodinal (since you mentioned D76). D76 at stock strength and continous agitation in your Jobo will do fine, and the results will be significantly less grainy than Rodinal, albeit with slightly less sharpness. The difference in graininess will be bigger than the difference in sharpness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the Info. I am still trying to find curves to compare them more fairly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin