Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 967

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developer for efke films

Hello,

I'm considering buying some efke film. I'm pondering what developer I should use with it. Currently I have only rodinal. The shop that sells efke here, has on stock Tetenal Neofin Blue developer. Which developer should I use from these two, or do you have any other recommendations (liquids please). I'd like to have quite small grain, because I shoot 35mm only. I will be probably shooting KB25 and KB100.

General comments of this film and alternatives are also very welcome.

Thanks

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Either one will do. Neofin Blau was originally made for the ADOX films that are the direct forerunners of the EFKE films, and gives great results. I haven't tried Rodinal, but I do use Neofin.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While Ole is right, such a dev may be a wee bit sharper and grainer than you seek, depending upon format for the 100 speed - prob spot on for the 25. PL100 in 5x4 is not fine grained - grainier than FP4 I think. However, it is very pretty. I used HC110 for times I got off the Masive development chart and got moderate grain and a beautiful look. I have not used lots, but fell in love with it. I Have loads in the fridge and when I get up an ruinning again, will go for HC110, get this nailed down and then try something like Aculux 2 for finer grain. The grain structure in HC110 looks very sharp, so I bet even a solvent developer would still produce negs with decent 'bite', as is the case with HP5 etc. Being an oldie film, I bet you could dev it in pretty well anything and get a decent reult. Fracesco uses Pyrocat HD for Azo, with great results. I once used Dixactol, but got huge grain and massively high B+F and very long print times. I will try it this time with Pyrocat, but for enlargement printing, unlike Francesco. Std devs such as D76/IDll/HC110 are all likely to give great results, or rodinal/neofin for greater sharpness.

Images
    Largely thanks to a member here on APUG who shall remain nameless*, lately I have been sticking everything I can lay my hands on into a tank of Rodinal, shaking it around a bit and seeing what happens. Last night I did a roll of Efke R50. I haven't printed anything yet but the negs look encouraging with full speed and very nice contrast.

*Dr. Morten Damkjær
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neal,

R50 and Rodinal 1+50 are a dream team. I am using it for 3 years now... yes, Efke films usually stick to the speed printed on the pack, they are actually a bit faster... somewhat unusual sensibilisation, wonderful tonality.

My fav in 120 next to APX100 in "the miracle water".

Jimi,

use Rodinal or Neofin/Beutler with the KB25 and some "grain eater" with KB100 - the latter is not that nice, with visual grain, similar to FP4+. I´d recommend Calbe A49 for it.

And be careful with handling, the emulsion is still quite soft. Omit the stop (use plain water instead), don´t use hardener, don´t wipe the film and all will be fine.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Images
    I'm just waiting until it gets dark enough to do a printing session. (In the Winter I don't hassle will putting up the window blockers). Can't wait to see how it prints.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dumped a couple of rolls of old KB14 in Rodinal 1+100 a while back and they looked and printed beautifully. So it's my choice when I get some of the new stuff.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neil,

it usually prints easily, I usually hit the g2-3 on the spot.

Some time ago I switched to a 1min pre-wash (to get rid of the blue AHU-laquer), then dev for 480-720s depending on the contrast needed.

Hey, even the undeveloped film is a beauty - a real nice, deep blue. ;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jay I've not tried PC-TEA, but the Look Rodinal has with grain is one of the positives in my book which is another reason I love it so much

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree, it´s the appearance of the grain that makes part of the R50 fun. I will never ever try it with another dev.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin