Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,141   Online: 969

Thread: lauder d76

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lauder d76

OK so my understanding is that lauder's d76 is identical/very similar to kodak's d76.

My concern is in the shelf life, lauder's chemistry is pre-mixed stock solution that is packaged in a clear bottle...Anyone have any issues with lauder?
    Last edited by msbarnes; 12-18-2012 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've not seen nor used their D-76 but have been using the Lauder Chemicals Rapid fixed for both papers and films for about ten years or so...I am very happy with the product. I'm going to have to look for the developer next time I'm at the dark room store.

Where did you see it BTW?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found it at looking glass photo in Berkeley, CA.

I decided against lauder d76 and went to play it safe with kodaks powdered d76.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cool. Thanks.

I'll have to check that place out next time I,m in the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A liquid concentrate D76 could be handy. Never heard of this stuff. Does anyone sell it mail order?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following is a quote from their website.

"Fine grain developer (Similar to Kodak D-76)

Lauder Formula 76 developer produces maximum emulsion speed and maximum shadow detail with normal contrast. Formula 76 produces negatives with high definition and fine grain characteristics. Can be used in tray or tank and its excellent development latitude permits even forced development with very little fog. To be used full strength with or without replenishment, or diluted 1:1 as a one shot. Storage life is excellent."

I have a problem when companies say that something is similar, just how different is their product.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-19-2012 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I have a problem when companies say that something is similar, just how different is their product.
    When it comes to film developers, everything is similar to D-76, except rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    interesting. I was unaware that this product was so unknown, lol.

My university darkroom uses it. I usually develop there but sometimes I develop at home.

I checked freestyle, b&h, and adorama and I couldn't find it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's been around forever. Looking Glass sells to lots of students, and this is a convenient item. Just
    regular 76, premixed. But here's the catch with all unbuffered 76 formulas, including Kodak powder
    version: when it's freshly mixed it, the developer activity changes, typically for a about a week, until
    it reaches a plateau; but how long that plateau is, is difficult to detemine. Some say a month, some
    six months. It actually gets more active over time, until failure from oxidation. So for critical work,
    best to use either freshly mixed, or between 1 wk and a month, if stored in full glass bottles. For
    nominal use, you can bend these rules. But 76 is infamous for last-minute surprises when you're on
    the border. Otherwise, Lauder quality is good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin