Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 904

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak paper lamentation....

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Roger,
    I think Guillaume is asking because many of the modern papers don't work well for his process and vision. If you check out the gallery postings of chromoskedasic work he's been sharing, you'll find a fair bit of expired Kodak papers mentioned, like Opal.
    Ah, got it. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, modern papers do work, they are fine and I'm very happy that they are there ! Don't get me wrong.
    For example the new Oriental warm tone is just amazing.

As Thomas said, I get an extra edge sometime with these old papers.
    But what annoyed me is the feeling I had missed the train.
    I never considered Kodak papers when they were produced because they were almost non existent at the time in France.
    And when I came to the US I stayed on that course. Unfortunately.
    Ektalure and Opal were unique. Period. I wish I knew !

Denise, I am just too messy to do my own. You would be scared in my darkroom, it's just all over :-)

Happy holiday everybody.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand Guillaueme. My reply was really directed toward the other poster who asked if we might see small runs of black and white paper again from Kodak. I was saying that it was too much to hope for and we should just hope we continue to have current Kodak materials, mainly their color film (I can live without and have good substitutes for everything else, but NOT for Portra or Ektar.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The strange thing about this is that AFAIK, Kodak manufactured B&W papers in England and France, right beside the color paper made there until the end in France. Those papers should have been available throughout Europe.

As for making B&W papers in the home lab, I have been able to approximate Kodabromide, but the others such as Opal and Medalist to name 2, require rather elaborate methods to make. I'm not sure I can do it.

Making and coating are not difficult, just a bit time consuming. Once a batch is made, you can coat 20 or so 8x10 sheets in one evening. That is enough for a number of good prints.

PE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin