Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1215

Shooter
    Multi Format

Efke 100 and Dev Time

I don't have my own darkroom, so I send out to a lab to process my B&W film. They use Xtol straight in their dip and dunk machine. I've sent two films of Efke 100 to their lab over a 5 year period, and each time- it came back under developed. Now each film was used in a different camera, so I know the camera isn't the problem. That said- should I overexpose the film to ISO 80 or even 64 for next time? I'd rather do it in camera then request higher dev times, since they charge extra for specifying a time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I don't have my own darkroom, so I send out to a lab to process my B&W film. They use Xtol straight in their dip and dunk machine. I've sent two films of Efke 100 to their lab over a 5 year period, and each time- it came back under developed. Now each film was used in a different camera, so I know the camera isn't the problem. That said- should I overexpose the film to ISO 80 or even 64 for next time? I'd rather do it in camera then request higher dev times, since they charge extra for specifying a time.
    First, I suggest finding out the correct time. The MDC says 8-9 minutes for stock XTOL. Do you know if Efke has a recommended time for XTOL?
    Second, you could ask the lab what time they use. If they're using less than what you determined above, you might suggest they have an error in their time. Such a conversation might get the time changed for free.

Best,

Mark Overton

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This may not apply to your situation, but my personal testing with Efke 100 and HC-110 has led me to rate it at ISO 32! My shadows were blocked up until I started shooting it much slower than box speed. Couldn't hurt to try some exposure adjustments. At least you know the processing will remain constant, so all you have to do is find the right exposure index that gives you the look you want.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    development time is what controls the highlights so overexposing isn't going to give the same effects as proper development.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    development time is what controls the highlights so overexposing isn't going to give the same effects as proper development.
    True, but if the problem is underexposure then finding an EI that gives the OP a more useable negative is a start.

Jonathan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    how old is the Efke... if it's 10 years expired you also have to take that into account and rate it at 50.... (as a general rule, every 10 years = a full stop less in speed)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never over-expose a single layer type film like Efke 100. It is also clearly indicated by the manufacturer Fotokemika. E.I. 100 for an Ascorbic Acid type developer like Xtol is OK.
    The correct developer time depends also on the type agitation which is not much in a D&D machine. Therefore the regular Xtol developer time (for small inverse developing tanks) should be extended.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Роберт View Post
    Never over-expose a single layer type film like Efke 100. It is also clearly indicated by the manufacturer Fotokemika.
    I have heard this and read this all over the Web, but I find it not to be true in my experience. Can you tell me why this is the case with single-layer film?

Here is a test shot I did with Efke PL100 9x12 sheet film exposed at EI 25 and processed normally in HC-110 in a JOBO tank with hand inversion. Shot at two full stops over box speed and no blown-out highlights or other ill effects.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because you're loosing sharpness, one of the important reason for using this film. So in this way Efke is less suitable for the zone system. And what is acceptable for you is maybe not acceptable for somebody else. For the same amount of money you can use an iso 100 multi-layer film like Fomapan 100.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin