Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 775

Shooter
    Multi Format

A newb question on b/w paper

I'm experimenting with different papers. Papers that I've bought off FeeBay.

Today, I'm test driving some paper called "Seagull". It say's it's a Bromide paper, which I have no clue as to what that means.

I'm using Arista B/W developer, which is mixed 1/9 per the instructions, and what I use almost on everything right now.

My first sheet was shot at 20sec / F22, no filter. Developed for 1.5 minutes. Came out all dark and cloudy kind of

Second sheet was 7 sec / f22, no filter, no safe light. Developed for 1.5 minutes, and it's just a lighter shade of grey.

If I just place a sheet in the developer with no exposure to it, and run it through the stop and fix, it should just be white.

Right?
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes. Put a piece through the dev and fix and if it is grey rather than white it has been age fogged. Do this and tell us what colour it is. If it is grey then how grey? Until we know the result it is difficult to get to a solution.

How old is the paper?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi pfitz

yep, unexposed paper through your fix should just be white.
    oriental / seagull is / was a great paper,

have fun!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it was worth a shot on the paper.. 100 sheets of 8x10 ... Threw it in the developer for 1.5 minutes, stop 1 minute, and fix for 2 minutes.

I just looked back. I didn't get it off fee bay. Bought it from a forum member here.

Last edited by Pfiltz; 12-22-2012 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Go to the light......

Shooter
    35mm
    Pfiltz: If the paper STILL shows slight fog it is age fogged (assuming that the fog results with only development and no print exposure and is even thoughout): Try this: find out how long you can develop it and still retain a white base. Then, expose to match. Also, add some restrainer (potassium bromide or benzatriazole) to the developer. Finally, a weak Farmer's reducer after fixation will bring back the whites (but make sure your print is a bit denser so that the reduction will not result in too light a print). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David..

I did a 7 sec exposure @ f22, and it was grey...

I guess I could do a 1 second exposure for giggles.
    Go to the light......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a piece of paper out of the box or paper safe, and cut off a piece of it, maybe 2 inches. Put it directly into the developer with no exposure; leave it in there for your normal development time. With or without safelight. If there is any grey at all, I'm guessing the paper is old and/or hasn't been stored properly. Modern papers only last about 1 1/2 to 2 years if not refrigerated or frozen.

Good luck,

-- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    Take a piece of paper out of the box or paper safe, and cut off a piece of it, maybe 2 inches. Put it directly into the developer with no exposure; leave it in there for your normal development time. With or without safelight. If there is any grey at all, I'm guessing the paper is old and/or hasn't been stored properly. Modern papers only last about 1 1/2 to 2 years if not refrigerated or frozen.

Good luck,

-- Mark
    I agree with Mark about the test, but would add that I have used plenty of papers that have been stored at room temperature for 5-10 years that still behave well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I take it that the fogged paper is the dark grey one with a white circle. What is the white circle? Is this a spot that wasn't developed but only fixed? If the dark grey is an indication of the extent of age fogging then I'd be surprised if there is anything you can do to recover matters. Looks like it belongs in a waste bin.

You haven't said how old the paper is. If you don't know then ask the forum member who sold it to you. I suspect it is old

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The white circle is the reflection of the bullet light hung above. I'll do another test tomorrow. I'll see if the guy will tell me how old the paper is, if it matters.
    Go to the light......

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin