Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,498   Online: 842

Shooter
    Medium Format

Creative print suggestions for Christmas present?

Having told me they liked the image, I've just had an old digital photograph made as a C Type. I'm not happy with it, you might be glad to hear. It's very close to the screen version in terms of contrast and colour, but there's still something off about it. I'm also surprised at the lack of detail in the print. Looks no different than an inkjet to me.

The situation now is that I have a nice 12x16" frame with nothing to put in it.

Recently, I've culled a great deal of my black and white negs and I'm having a hard time selecting something to print. Most of the negatives I do have are too new, if you understand me - I'm still weighing them up.
    I'd like to play around with some older images, perhaps printing selective parts of negatives - enlarging to the point of abstraction maybe. I'm considering a triptych, made in the manner of selecting rectangular cross sections of several negs. An interesting photogram isn't out of the question either and the shear simplicity of this appeals to me. Ideally something nuanced and 'airy', as opposed to blocks of white.

The couple this will be for aren't photography connoisseurs and the digital picture they liked was colour and very... 'pretty'. I've moved away from making decorative pictures and would like to give them something photographically unique, something that will impress them.

I'm just wondering if there's any other experimenting I can do with standard developer and paper? Crazy suggestions welcome - I'm trying to think out of the box for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can hand-color something, if you have prints on matte (or semi-matte) paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could mess around with "solarized" (Sabat(t)ier effect) and normal versions of the same print as a diptych. Visually interesting and rather out of the box. Cyanotypes are good eye-catchers too.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Needed this done by tonight, so I couldn't wait for any more responses unfortunately. I ended up doing a photogram triptych. Thanks for the suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6431.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	61715

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks really good -someone is going to be very grateful.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin