Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,140   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use scotch tape as well, but since I use a bulk loader I don't really have to worry about sparks. I would rather watch tv and load film than to just load film in the dark. It is boring after all. I also reuse color cassettes, only once. Makes things go a lot faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used electrical tape. Not sure about this sparking stuff. I always assume the end frame is a write-off anyway, so I roll mine to 37-38 frames and just stop shooting at 36. Never had a problem with my process.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like seeing the sparks fly when taking off the tape on my 120 rolls. So far the sparks have only exposed the area right where the tape was attached...but then I live in a famp climate.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparks do indeed "fly". This is a property of most glues.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scotch tape, never had a problem with it. Like PE I used to precut the tape, but then I pretaped the length to the left over leader from discarded lab cassettes, and then attach this onto a clean tabletop, or rail. Gives you a nice even line of tape to wrap around the film to be reloaded. Masking tape is a bit too thick for this.

I also cut my film off the spools, the only time I pull tape is to connect rolls of 120 for development, and then I only do it very very slowly and gently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use masking tape, and like PE I make sure it adheres to both sides of the film. Seems to hold just fine, even on rolls that I've kept in the freezer a few years before actually shooting. I've never had the tape fail in-camera.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I often freeze filled cassettes I use freezer tape which works very well.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The very best tape is the one used by 1-hour photo labs to attach the film to the leader card in a roller process machine. Its expensive but very strong and it allows you to use the small extended section of film protruding from the felt of the used C-41 cassette, that way you now have a very large supply of cassettes to use and won't have to reuse a cassette too many times and risk scratches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always used masking tape (lik most others), but be careful not to use the low tack variety as this can come undone quite easily.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    The very best tape is the one used by 1-hour photo labs to attach the film to the leader card in a roller process machine. Its expensive but very strong and it allows you to use the small extended section of film protruding from the felt of the used C-41 cassette, that way you now have a very large supply of cassettes to use and won't have to reuse a cassette too many times and risk scratches.
    Beat me to it! When I managed a semi-pro lab, I ordered in an extra roll of tape every so often, as the price was discounted a further 10% when the orders were over $1500.

If you're on good terms with your local film processor, might be able to save some cash - I had a couple of customers who I sold a roll of "Splicing Tape" to, never a problem as I always had enough stock to cover a sudden influx of film for processing.

Great stuff - and yeah, it's as strong as; trying to get it apart off a film leader could sometimes be a strength exercise for the fingers. . . . . . .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin