Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,801   Online: 671

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, plus if you are in a hurry when processing you can just snip it off and process with it attached, after all, thats what is was made for.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Since I often freeze filled cassettes I use freezer tape which works very well.
    What is "freezer" tape?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is "freezer" tape?
    It is a tape for securing and labeling frozen food packages. It is similar to paint masking tape.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bulk loading adhesive tape

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sorry, but not true. The blue "sparks" can cause marks and lines on film as you pull it away from the film or from anything nearby the film such as the original roll. That is why I cut mine.

PE.
    Semi-off-topic

Wait, I only use a dark bag so I've never SEEN myself spooling my film unto a developing reel, but at the end of a 120 is roll has tape on the backing paper, I always peel it off the film at the end of the roll. Do you think THAT tape would also create static sparks?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...I always peel it off the film at the end of the roll. Do you think THAT tape would also create static sparks?
    Yes, it does. As does tearing the tape, which is what I do, but I've never *noticed* a fogging problem doing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Semi-off-topic

Wait, I only use a dark bag so I've never SEEN myself spooling my film unto a developing reel, but at the end of a 120 is roll has tape on the backing paper, I always peel it off the film at the end of the roll. Do you think THAT tape would also create static sparks?
    It does and I've seen it, although I can't say if it affected my 120 roll or not. Since then though, I've always either A) peeled it off the film really slowly - no sparks or B) leave it on the film and carefully peel off the backing paper before folding it over the film end (which actually helps me sometimes when I have problems loading the Patterson 120 spool).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost all tape does it. It is a function of the release process when tape is pulled away from what it is stuck to.

If the film is sensitive enough, you will see the marks. It can usually be seen right at the spot where you peeled the tape away but sometimes it is seen as a grayish "halo" of diffuse fog in a ring around the peel off spot.

If it is far enough away, there is no problem, but if it is close to a roll of film or the entire bulk roll for some reason, then you have a problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The adhesive in freezer tape adheres better than masking tape and does not lose its hold when exposed to moisture or low temperature. The problem with masking tape is that it is designed to be easily removed and hence does not stick very well. It is designed to cover and not to hold.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't the sparks made by peeling tape an example of triboluminescence as opposed to static electricity?
    (e.g. The same effect that makes Lifesavers candy spark when you chew them.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy, you are correct. It is not static electricity, but the breaking of chemical bonds. That is not to say that static electricity cannot take place, and if it does it is a far worse problem than the triboluminescence.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin