Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,461   Online: 875

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bulk loading adhesive tape

I learned about this as a kid using band aid packaging... You've ruined my childhood magic memories!!! Haha

So PE / others, should I stop doing this for all films, or just Delta 3200? I've NY noticed any issues with fog on any actual images. I always thought the discoloration where the tape was, was due to the glue preventing the developer from fully penetrating the film, not from the triboluminescence :/

And I've said it before, the poster with issues loading Paterson reels, look into Samigon reels, WAY better, they have a guide tongue, makes loading 120 a cinch! The plastic ones not SS...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would doping the tape with something conductive like graphite prevent static and/or triboluminescence?

Okay... expensive. But would it be useful?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Addition of graphite would help very much as it would ruin adhesion totally! Hahahahah.

And, this problem is related mainly to bulk loading, not to processing reels. You don't need to tape film into a processing reel if it is built well. In fact, all of my SS reels have built in clips to attach the film to, and my plastic reels have a one way "gate" at the film feed end to prevent film from getting away.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Aren't the sparks made by peeling tape an example of triboluminescence as opposed to static electricity?
    (e.g. The same effect that makes Lifesavers candy spark when you chew them.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence
    Thanks for the correction!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does anyone on the planet have a photograph that they can show as evidence of image degration by this effect.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I avoid this problem, I cannot show it. I can show examples of static electricity and kinking of film, but not this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    What kind of adhesive tape is recommended to avoid electrostatic sparkes while bulk loading?
    Are you talking about bulk loading 120 or 35mm? With 35mm, usually the tape is applied in the light to 'exposed' leader. Even if you do manage to rip the tape off on the 39th frame (:P) that part of the film is already fully exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Does anyone on the planet have a photograph that they can show as evidence of image degration by this effect.
    It gives a Kirlian effect, which, in my experience, is usually limited to right were the tape was. I can't say I have ever seen an adjacent negative ruined by it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Not me -- the fogging has been completely limited to where the tape was actually sticking to the film (120) -- nowhere near the image areas. And the fogged portion of the film is cut off and tossed as it would stick way out of the negative sleeve.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't see how it would be a problem when loading cassettes, or removing the film. I understand it is possible, but it seems like you'd have to go out of your way to get any exposure to your film that way.

I am, however, very careful when peeling the tape from a new 100' roll of film. I don't know if that is still the norm for packaging, but Kodak used to tape theirs and you could easily get loose a frame several in from the end on the first roll you loaded.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin