Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,518   Online: 1028

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Large Format
    And, thanks to whoever mentioned the processor splicing tape idea. I'd been having some problems with image damage to a frame on the first wrap around the spool from adhesive bleeding along the edge with masking tape. I don't recall ever having this in the past, so imagine I just need to get fresh tape, but haven't managed to remember that. I have the Blue Max splicing tape here and tried it today. Really nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    "back in the Day" Kodak used to use a blue tape that loked like Masking tape without the crinkles. I was surprised the first time I ever peeled it ff, as it gave the Blue light effect. The Current White plastic stuff can't peel easaly so have to be cut. I can generaly break it right where it meets the spool.

I have traditionaly used Masking tape for bulk loading. I used to just buy the store brand, figuring that the expensive stuff is sold as being easy to remove, and for Bulk loading that is irrelivant. Film that I had in the freezer for 20 years still has the tape secure, but some of it shows why Eastman invented expriation dates..

My use cheep tape did bite me recently when I used an OLD roll of cheep tape and the adhesive did bleed. fortunatly it did not seem to get any images, but I had to use solvent to get the tape residue of the back of the film. Sill have not figured out how that transfer occured? Last time was the Green or Blue tape. (one roll done with each.) So far the "Painters Green" has a slight edge, but does not seem as sticky as the tape of old.

Only tried the clear scotch tape once, it did not seem to hold on the spool very well. I caught it slipping when I went to rewind and slow rewinding saved me from an unscheduled trip back to the adrkroom to unload.

Note that the White plastic Kodak tape leves residue on teh spool. I find that I can "dab" the tape back on teh residue to pick the adhesive off. I save my Kodak sppols as I like having the extra tape area compaired to the spools often provided that are intened to take a film end with a hole in the right spot. A real Niche product would be to make a film cutter/punch to shape the tail of the film to fit a commercial spool. The Kodak sppols fit and work in teh A-P reloadable metal cassettes. They bind in some of the platic cassettes.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bulk loaded 35 mm film for years using electrical tape to secure the film to the spool. I usually make up all my cassettes at once and put them into the freezer until needed. Never had a problem with static or the adhesive not holding. Did have a problem with Scotch tape not holding.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks for the correction!
    P.E. said it was both.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can be both. For example, fast unwinding of bulk film can create static discharge in dry weather. Then you get flashes from the tape as you unwind it and stick it to the film, and then you get more flashes of both types when you remove the tape and unwind the film just before processing. The static discharge is not very likely if humidity is high.

Just take care at all steps and things will be OK.

PE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin