Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 783

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bulk loading adhesive tape

What kind of adhesive tape is recommended to avoid electrostatic sparkes while bulk loading?
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 12-22-2012 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use ordinary masking tape - the kind used by those painting a section of wood who do not want the paint to spread. Never found that to have generated sparks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I use ordinary masking tape - the kind used by those painting a section of wood who do not want the paint to spread. Never found that to have generated sparks

pentaxuser
    +1
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Scotch tape, precut before I go dark. I stick the ends to the counter top in a row. I pluck them off as needed. I never get a tearoff in-camera as was the case with previous tapes. when ready to process, I cut the film from the casette to avoid problems.

I put the tape around the spool and tape each end to one side of the film to form a firm bond.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used both blue painters tape and scotch tape. The scotch take makes blue sparks, which is amusing but harmless.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    24mm masking tape is the perfect width for 35mm film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black gaffer's tape.

A long enough strip to go all the way around the spool and attach to both sides.
    Haven't seen it spark. It won't pull off and it's easy to tear in the dark.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I've used both blue painters tape and scotch tape. The scotch take makes blue sparks, which is amusing but harmless.
    Sorry, but not true. The blue "sparks" can cause marks and lines on film as you pull it away from the film or from anything nearby the film such as the original roll. That is why I cut mine.

PE.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sorry, but not true. The blue "sparks" can cause marks and lines on film as you pull it away from the film or from anything nearby the film such as the original roll. That is why I cut mine.

PE.
    Exactly PE. Right on.
    That's what happened to me last night. I messed up with a pre-cut adhesive tape (I have a red 3M adhesive tape - core series 2 1300) right on the spool (both estremities of the tape decided to stick together at one point). When I tried to tear them apart: bang. A rather dim but discernable spark. With the 17mt bulk roll near! Hope I didn't ruined anything...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly enough, most tapes cause this problem, but with colored backing it is difficult to see, even in the dark.

Scotch tape and similar products show it quite well being transparent.

PE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin