Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,676   Online: 1075

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HP-5+ and grain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing to add: I don't like Rodinal with HP5+, but I have no problem with Fomapan 400 or TriX in Rodinal. It is just personal taste - not grain issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience is that HP5+ grain is very dependant on the particular developer used. I've had very good results exposing at 250 and processing in Microdol-X 1:3, grain is there but not ugly. The 1:3 tames the blocked-up highlights.

If you don't want grain, then switch to a pyro developer like, pyrocat-hd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. Pyrocat is an acutance developer. The "grain masking" effect of the dye mask with staining developers can make the negatives print slightly less grainy than with a non-staining acutance developer, but you don't get fine grain. For fine grain you stick with a solvent developer like D-76, XTOL etc etc. Even Sandy King has said this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree that HP5+ is a very capable film, but what I meant with my comment is that HP5+ doesn't expand as well as Tri-X and TMax 400. It doesn't continue to develop contrast like the other with seemingly no end in sight, which is why HP5+ may not be exactly what the user want, especially if the lighting is flat. Used in the right circumstance, HP5+ certainly is an amazing film that works really well for near everything and anything.

While I agree that there is a lot about work flow that is simply down to working hard and understanding our materials, there are limitations to what they can do for us. With HP5+ the bar is set very high, but it doesn't do everything faultlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I've made 16x20 prints from 6x6 HP5 negatives that had some grain (not a ton) and some that were virtually grainless. Endless possibilities. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

I get frustrated with both myself and others because all of the developers, lenses, films, etc. that we have today are superior in almost every aspect to what was available for Paul Strand, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Walker Evans and all of the greats of American Photography. We all tend to fall into the habit of questioning and/or blaming the materials when things don't work out to our satisfaction, but we should all remember that some of the most talented and hard-working engineering minds have dedicated decades of their lives in the development of these products. (Countdown to someone replying "Oh, but the PAPERS were SO MUCH BETTER back then!" 10, 9, 8, 7....)

You ever notice how golf clubs get better every year, yet the average handicap of the American golfer hasn't changed in almost 40 years? It's because people would rather read about how to get better at golf or spend money on new clubs than do the hard work of actually getting better at golf.

We are all guilty of this! Moral of the story: one camera, one lens, one or two films and one developer.

Paul Strand is a great example. He shot with the same 8x10 and 5x7 cameras for almost 40 years, and used the same 300mm Georz Dagor lens on both cameras! Strand's portrait of Mr. Bennett, one of the greatest portraits in the entire history of photography, was made with that lens on a Graflex. You think our multicoated, computer designed optics aren't better than a freaking Georz Dagor POS? Obsessing over these trivialities is just high tech procrastination. Stop worrying about it and get to work!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    No. Pyrocat is an acutance developer. The "grain masking" effect of the dye mask with staining developers can make the negatives print slightly less grainy than with a non-staining acutance developer, but you don't get fine grain. For fine grain you stick with a solvent developer like D-76, XTOL etc etc. Even Sandy King has said this.
    True.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Nice shots Vilk.
    hey, rich, coming from you it's double the compliment. it is streams like yours that make me lust after a hassy every now and then... but then i see a shot like your hmong kids and i'm happy with my nikons for another pyatiletka

great stuff, don't stop!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I use Rodinal almost exclusively. But with HP5+ I did not like results. When I started to use HC-110 with HP5+ problem was solved. I have bottle of HC-110 only for HP5+, tonality and contrast are great.
    +1
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: HP-5+ and grain

i second hp5 and hc-110....great combo.....funny how ansel always praised tri-x and hc-110 !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HP-5+ and grain

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    i second hp5 and hc-110....great combo.....funny how ansel always praised tri-x and hc-110 !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Good call. HC110 would no doubt counteract the lower inherent contrast of HP5.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin