Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,039   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Any tips for long-expired Polaroid sheet film?

I have some Polaroid Type 51 4x5 sheet film on the way, this is high-contrast black and white positive/negative film. About 30 years old. I'm fully aware that I might get nothing from it but the price was right at less than $1/sheet, compared to the $5-10 or more per sheet that the more recently expired stuff is fetching. Any tips for shooting film this old?

I have heard 1 stop per decade for old roll film but I'm not sure if this would apply to Polaroid.

In any case it should be interesting...

Shooter
    35mm
    My concern is that after 30 years, the developer pods have broken and/or dried out meaning you will get little (or no) developer spread, but you'll never know until you try. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had muck luck with old Polaroid film but others seem to have. Like the Prof said, the biggest problem will be the developer pod. give it a try. If the developer pod is still any good you'll get some image; if not, maybe none. My only advise is to have fun but don't get your hopes up too high until you see a result. Sometimes if the pod is even halfway "gooey" you can get some interesting artistic results. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not sure, but this might help ?
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/polaroid-expired/
    i googled about hydrating the monodeveloper
    and some people have attempted with a humidifier,
    and no on had much luck. if it was the #55 film
    you can remove the film/negative and just process it in
    normal developer ( it is reportedly panatomic x-like )

have fun !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the attraction of old, old film?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes it is trying to get the last experience of a favorite emulsion; other times it is experimentation. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The attraction for me is that it exists and it was cheap.

I paid $1 for a 4x5 Polaroid back because I really hope that New 55 film will materialize in the future but in the meantime I'll try my luck with whatever old film I can buy on eBay.

Granted 1980s is really old but even the 10-year expired Type 55 is selling for $5-10 a sheet.

I've never shot a polaroid in my life so I'm kind of excited about the idea. If I get anything at all it will be really cool to see an image on something that was created that long ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one pack of this 4x5 film and have tried 2 sheets. In both cases the pod of developer goo was dried out and cracked. It was just as Fred said above. They go bad.

I sacrificed a 3rd to investigate and prove what was wrong. It was the pot for sure.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have had really good luck with old Polaroid films; only a few have been dried out.

Below is a shot I took a few months ago on type 55 that expired in 1981.

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Feel the pods. They should feel a little like putty. If there are hard spots, I am afraid you will have little luck with it. The re humidifying comment may have some merit. Maybe with a syringe and some time you may resuscitate it. Just an idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin