Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,877   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You must be turning blue by now!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinetango View Post
    Dumb question....
    I just finished building my first darkroom I was wondering if the fixer and the stop chemicals can be reuse? Or do I discard them after I finish enlarging?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Raul
    hey raul

where are you located ?
    there is a great chemical system called sprint system of photography.
    it is a system meaning the stop indicates ( from yellowish to purplish )
    when everything is exhausted, not just the stop bath.
    the chemicals are liquid concentrate stock and mix easy !:9.
    if you can't find them locally they can be purchased right off their website

http://sprintsystems.com/

their developer ( film ) is sort of like d76 and id11 but a bit different
    and i believe it is metol free.

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just dump my stop bath, but I collect the fixer and take it to the the "Household Hazardous Waste" collection center in Columbus. The silver in the fixer is not good for the environment. I've heard that it's not really an issue in the quantities that amateurs use, but I take mine in anyway. Fixer and selenium toner. I have known some folks to extract the silver from their used fixer. It can be sold, but I don't know who buys it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    I just dump my stop bath, but I collect the fixer and take it to the the "Household Hazardous Waste" collection center in Columbus. The silver in the fixer is not good for the environment. I've heard that it's not really an issue in the quantities that amateurs use, but I take mine in anyway. Fixer and selenium toner. I have known some folks to extract the silver from their used fixer. It can be sold, but I don't know who buys it.
    hey there

there is a plastic bag included with every magnet sold, it has an address on it and is a refiner
    who weighs out the silver and gives users about 90% of the spot price * the weight of the silver on the cathode.
    in canada there is also a refiner and in the uk that both work with magnet-users ( and i am sure anyone else who has silver to sell )
    the thing that makes the magnet easy is that it isn't just a sludge mixed with other stuff, but its silver that is electroplated onto
    a cathode, so it is pretty pure ... if you look in the business listings / yellow pages near where you live under electroplaters
    or refiners, you might find a place near you that would be interested in the extracted silver from your fixer ... you won't get rich
    but after a while it might pay for a few boxes of paper or rolls of film or maybe gas for your car ...

good to hear you have a "waste-plan"

have a nice new year !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    When I started to work on color paper at Kodak in 1971, we were just switching to the bleach-fix process that required Ag recovery be made using Fe cartridges, because the Fe became part of the bleach-fix. Many photofinishing labs were't happy about this means of Ag recovery because the recovered flake Ag from the electrolytic Ag recovery used with the previous process fixer was 'off the books' and 'was their retirement fund'. The Fe cartridge recovered Ag had to go through a refiner and thus was 'on the books' for tax purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... you won't get rich but after a while it might pay for a few boxes of paper or rolls of film or maybe gas for your car ...
    I wait until my fixer bucket gets about half full. 2 or 3 gallons, more or less. Each time I run the Silver Magnet, I get approx. 30 grams of silver.
    (31-point-something grams to the troy ounce.)

At the current price of silver, that comes out to almost $1 per gram.

No, you won't get rich but it is certainly a worthwhile pursuit.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin