Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,612   Online: 894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Plain hypo bath as fixer?

I just realized I have been using a "plain hypo" bath of sodium thiosulfate as a fixer for my last 20 FB prints. Will this be OK or should I re-fix in a different fixer solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should be OK. But in the future a "plain hypo" fixer also contains sodium sulfite which makes it keep longer without sulfurizing from acid carryover from the stop bath.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Gerald. It may have? Labeled Hypo by Zone VI...But I am erroring on the side of caution and want to make sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gerald, I also use plain sodium thiosulfate (penta, usually) and I find it works fine. But, if I use a weak stop bath (1%) and change it frequently, do you still recommend the necessity of the sulfite, even though I do not usually reuse the fixer after the session? (I use small liquid quantities for prints so that I can discard without wasting.) No problems yet. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Or just use a brief rinse after the acidic stop bath, if you don't want to use sodium sulfite in the fixer and still want to reuse it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Gerald, I also use plain sodium thiosulfate (penta, usually) and I find it works fine. But, if I use a weak stop bath (1%) and change it frequently, do you still recommend the necessity of the sulfite, even though I do not usually reuse the fixer after the session? (I use small liquid quantities for prints so that I can discard without wasting.) No problems yet. - David Lyga
    If you have not seen any sulfurization with your process then I wouldn't worry. However a 3% acetic acid stop might cause problems.

A good "plain" hypo bath would be 240 g sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate and 15 g sodium sulfite to make 1 liter of fixer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been more than 20-years, but I think Hypo from Zone VI was plain hypo, while fixer with other ingredients was labeled Zone VI Fixer.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nothing wrong with sodium thiosulfate, but fixation may take a little longer.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Juan is correct about the two products, they sold plain hypo for use with selenium (and maybe other types of) toning and fixer for actual fixing of film and paper.
    I believe some of the other components in a fixer bath also extend the life of the solution, like keeping dissolved silver salts in solution, preventing precipitates.

Maybe PE will pick up this thread and give us a better explanation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin