Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,353   Online: 738

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is Diafine really that easy to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Both my enlargers are condensers. (Beseler 23C & Omega D-II)

I mixed it up last night. I've got my camera all loaded up with some Pan F+ (Set to 80.)
    We had a big snowstorm last night.

I'm just waiting for the sky to clear up so I can go out and shoot!

I'm pretty psyched to try this Diafine out!
    I'm curious about it, but I'm a control freak haha but I also like to save money and it sounds a lot cheaper overall haha... hmm what to do...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    Here's a question. Rollei and Maco IR film instructions indicate a pre-soak to remove the halation backing. What effect do you think this would have using Diafine as the developer? It seems to me the pre-soak would inhibit maximum A absorption. Develop longer or pass on the pre-soak and develop normally in Diafine? What are your thoughts? My experience so far with this developer is with Retro 80s, no pre-soak needed there.
    Steve
    A pre-soak would certainly effect Diafine absorption. I would recommend following Diafine's instruction not to pre-soak. IIRC both Kodak and Ilford specifically do not recommend pre-soaking their films with any developer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Hey Rog,

I have done selenium intensification just recently on some test negatives, and the results looked pretty good. Maybe closer to a 1/2 grade, though. These were HP5 in Diafine negs. TMY400 is supposed to intensify quite well in selenium, according to Mr. Sexton.
    Good to know Parker, thanks. Did you use it at 1+3? I've read somewhere that's the strength to use for negative intensification. I assume it just goes to completion so time and temperature are more a matter of minimums?

Not so much specifically for Diafine but there are times it would be useful to have in the tool kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Both my enlargers are condensers. (Beseler 23C & Omega D-II)

I mixed it up last night. I've got my camera all loaded up with some Pan F+ (Set to 80.)
    We had a big snowstorm last night.

I'm just waiting for the sky to clear up so I can go out and shoot!

I'm pretty psyched to try this Diafine out!
    I would recommend shooting some of the roll at 64 and even 50. The box recommends 100 for 35mm and 80 for 120, but I have found with modern films, by which I mean the modern formulation of traditional films not necessarily "new tech" films, the box ratings are often a bit optimistic. I shoot 120 Pan F+ at 64. You will get a bit more effective speed with Diafine, but then most people seem to shoot Pan F+ at 40 or 32 in conventional developers.

Incidentally I just gave my MIL and FIL in law a mounted custom framed print for Christmas, 15.5" square, from a 6x6 negative on Pan F+ developed in Diafine. They loved it. It's the one I've posted before of the beach at Apalachicola.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    That was his "Super Soup" :

http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photo...tml#Super_Soup

I've been meaning to try it with TMZ and Delta 3200 and see what it will do.

Here's a recommendation for pushing Tri-X to 12500 by developing first in Diafine, then stand developing in Rodinal, and finally following up with Super Soup:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/articles/pushing-tri-x.php
    Yes, it was "Super Soup". It sounds like fun, and I know that film and chemisty are low in cost compared to other things, I just don't have the extra to go play with these days. Someday!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can afford it now (for simple stuff like this) but I just don't have the time. In the past I had the time but not the money. Funny how that seems to work, innit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Yes, it was "Super Soup". It sounds like fun, and I know that film and chemisty are low in cost compared to other things, I just don't have the extra to go play with these days. Someday!
    I use it semi-regularly with TX at 3200---obviously it can go higher, but I found that to be sort of the sweet spot. (I did more careful testing with HP5+---results at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...7620654443216/---but it seems generally similar with Tri-X.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    Here's a question. Rollei and Maco IR film instructions indicate a pre-soak to remove the halation backing. What effect do you think this would have using Diafine as the developer? It seems to me the pre-soak would inhibit maximum A absorption. Develop longer or pass on the pre-soak and develop normally in Diafine?
    I've used Diafine successfully with both those films without a presoak. It's a mystery to me why the instructions call for one.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I use it semi-regularly with TX at 3200---obviously it can go higher, but I found that to be sort of the sweet spot. (I did more careful testing with HP5+---results at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...7620654443216/---but it seems generally similar with Tri-X.)

-NT
    Is this at 68F? I prefer to develop warmer most of the time, as in the summer my room temperature is usually closer to 75 (occasionally solutions, which will be slightly cooler than room temperature due to evaporative cooling, will run 76 or even, rarely, 77) and in the winter when room temperatures without the heater on are more like 65 the higher standard can still be reached by my Jobo - even if not using the Jobo for the processing I can use it as a tempering bath.

Or maybe this is kind of like Diafine and just goes to completion?

I'm actually really pleased with the results I get from both TMZ and D3200 at 3200 with T-Max developer. 6400 is workable with TMZ though I haven't tried it yet with D3200. I'm wondering if Super Soup could get even more speed out of D3200 and maybe TMZ (which still seems to be in stock most places, and I have a few rolls in the freezer.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is Diafine really that easy to use?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm curious about it, but I'm a control freak haha but I also like to save money and it sounds a lot cheaper overall haha... hmm what to do...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try it! Little to lose. If you find it lacks the control you like move on. In the meantime might be fun. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I can afford it now (for simple stuff like this) but I just don't have the time. In the past I had the time but not the money. Funny how that seems to work, innit?
    Wow, same here. Funny how things flip like that. Finally old enough and far enough along in my career that I can certainly afford fun things like this, but have to pick and choose what to spend my precious little free time on. OK I'm not going to complain... also I get to use film cameras now that I could only dream about when they were new, so no complaining!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin