Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,569   Online: 922

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Water spots on film?

Hey guys,

how do get off water water spots off a negative? I re-rinsed the neg in photo-flo solution and then when it dries, I have a few annoying water spots. Is it possible I need to make up another batch of photo-flo? I've had this batch for a while.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Water spots on film?

Just moisten the corner of a sponge with diluted Photo-Flo and gently wipe the spots. They'll come right off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My final film wash is in distilled water. I haven't had any spots for a long time.

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    My final film wash is in distilled water. I haven't had any spots for a long time.
    Same here - but I use demineralised water instead.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great tips guys.. Murphy's law.. this negative has a beautiful image on it and accidently touched it and put a slight finger print on it and this happened. I'll try it tonight keep you posted.This is first time this has happened too. I have a filter system installed to help.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    My water supply has plenty of limestone in it, so I use distilled water with Photo-Flo (the Ilford version, 1:200 dilution). Everything is spotless Don't touch the film, don't wipe the retained water. Let it drain a bit while on the spool, hang it to dry and come back in a few hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I get water spots, and I seldom do, since I mix fresh photo flo for each session, one half the recommended strength -- I just breathe on the negative to be printed and immediately wipe it with a clean anti static cloth. Works like a charm. All my students use that technique now, too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The tendency for water spots to appear (calcium carbonate deposits), will depend a lot on where you live and your relative hardness or softness of water supply. But after washing negs in cold tap water, I dunk the spiral containing negs in deionised water for about 30 seconds (twizzle about) and then hang them to dry. I never get water spots. However, if you do, all you need to do after cutting them into strips when dry, is put them emulsion side down on something clean like a negative page (shiny side up) and breath on them like you are misting up a mirror and then wipe the shiny side with a soft lens cloth (drying marks only form on the shiny side of the film) and this should get rid of them. If they are still there, dab a little ethanol on the soft cloth and wipe them again. This should get rid of any drying marks (water spots).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about lens tissue? Or can use that material you use to wipe Ipad screen? These cut down negs too.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    How about lens tissue? Or can use that material you use to wipe Ipad screen? These cut down negs too.

ToddB
    The cloth from a spectacle case is fine.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin