Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,154   Online: 858

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HP 5 IMO is really nice once I get to MF or bigger, it is one of my staples in 4x5. For 35mm I'm not so sold. Bit grainier than I prefer. If you go with HP5 in 135, a dose of perceptol might be good but that slows it down a ways.

So to keep things simple for fast film I use Delta 400 in DD-X on both MF and in 135. Shoot this at 500 normally but works fine from 200-2000 for what I do.

The other combo I like real well is FP4 in DD-X. I shoot this at 125 normally, works fine for me from 25-250.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On their web-page, Ilford has equivalents charts for both Kodak, Agfa and Forte products. I enclose a link.

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=10
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

XTOL has no Ilford equivalent, although Mark Overton linked to Freestyle's true Arista equivalent above.

Ilford's DD-X is a completely different developer, but it will get you similar results, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DDX has similar working properties to Kodak TMax (RS). There is no Ilford XTOL equivalent.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the beauties of doing your own black-and-white is that you have so much freedom with chemistry. Since you're switching, now would be the time to investigate some non-proprietary developer formulas (many of which you can buy pre-mixed if you're averse to home-brewing from scratch). I'd look into Rodinal (or its equivalent), or my favorite, Pyrocat HD. You can get it from Bostick & Sullivan in a two-part kit, and all you have to do is add some hot water to the bottle for part A and you're ready to go. I use it with all my films, from Tmax 400 to FP4+. Try developing film in a pyro developer sometime and I promise you it'll be a revelation.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    HP 5 IMO is really nice once I get to MF or bigger, it is one of my staples in 4x5. For 35mm I'm not so sold. Bit grainier than I prefer. If you go with HP5 in 135, a dose of perceptol might be good but that slows it down a ways.

So to keep things simple for fast film I use Delta 400 in DD-X on both MF and in 135. Shoot this at 500 normally but works fine from 200-2000 for what I do.

The other combo I like real well is FP4 in DD-X. I shoot this at 125 normally, works fine for me from 25-250.
    Mark,

Why do you use DD-X with FP4 when Ilfsol 3 is the branded match? It's not.a Tgrain developer so just curious why you like DD-X over Ilfsol 3?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    ID-11 is essentially D76 - significantly different from X-Tol.

And as Kodak no longer manufactures XTol themselves (Champion does it for them) there is no reason to expect XTol to disappear.
    whoops. I was going off descriptions there, I ou have real world experience with Ilfsol 3 and DD-X

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    After looking xtol over a bit, it seems like Ilford's ID-11.
    Also, the "clone" isn't a clone it's just repackaged / relabeled xtol so that solution won't work, when Kodak stops producing developer, the clove won't be available either...
    What causes you to believe that this is relabelled XTOL? Please cite a reference if available. It surprises me that Kodak would permit such a thing in their contract with Champion.
    Assuming this really is relabelled XTOL, then as MattKing pointed out, even if Kodak shuts down, there would be no reason for Champion to stop supplying this developer to Freestyle (unless sales-volume would be too low to bother with).

Mark Overton

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    What causes you to believe that this is relabelled XTOL? Please cite a reference if available. It surprises me that Kodak would permit such a thing in their contract with Champion.
    Assuming this really is relabelled XTOL, then as MattKing pointed out, even if Kodak shuts down, there would be no reason for Champion to stop supplying this developer to Freestyle (unless sales-volume would be too low to bother with).

Mark Overton
    Honesty can't cite a reference, but I remember reading a list of products that Were Arista labeled that were really Kodak, I could have sworn that was listed as well as tri-x being part of am the Arista line of film.

I have no recollection as to where I read that, it was a while ago and I don't use it so I can't compare personally.

Sorry to upset the balance here.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Ilford makes Ilfostop stop bath, although AFAIK nothing but the film and developer is really critical to the final result.
    tha's my understanding too.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin