Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,506   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

I'm planning on attempting a 52 roll project for 2013, and I want to switch from Kodak stuff to Ilford stuff to do it.

I've been shooting TriX, and using XTOL, Dektol, Kodak Indicator Stopbath, and Kodak Fixer.

Would the Ilford equivalent to the above be HP5, Ilfosol 3, Ilford Multigrade, and Ilford Rapid Fixer?

Ilford doesn't make a stop bath, so I'll continue to use the rest of the Kodak that I still have until I find a replacement.

I'd like to stick to Ilford brand stuff, but if there is something more comparable to XTOL than Ilfosol, I'm open to trying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christopher:

Ilford makes a very good citric acid based stop bath - Ilfostop, which I use for printing (I use Kodak indicator stop bath for film).

I recommend either Ilford Rapid Fixer or Hypam in preference to Kodak Fixer. Kodak Rapid Fixer is closely equivalent to Ilford Rapid Fixer, except the Kodak Rapid Fixer is only sold with the hardener additive, in the quantities I use. Unfortunately (for some) the Rapid Fixers are liquid, so they can involve much more in shipping costs.

I don't know that there is a close equivalent to XTol in the Ilford range.

It seems to me that Bromophen is the closest equivalent to Dektol in the Ilford range.

TriX and HP5+ are different, and if you combine a change in film with a change in developers, you will have changed a lot of variables. Not generally a good idea before starting a long project.

Why change if you are happy with what you are using? The Kodak chemistry is manufactured by Champion, who are stable and long term The Kodak film is manufactured by the same people who are manufacturing the Kodak motion picture film - that contract remains lucrative and is guaranteed until at least 2015.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford makes Ilfostop stop bath, although AFAIK nothing but the film and developer is really critical to the final result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Why change if you are happy with what you are using? The Kodak chemistry is manufactured by Champion, who are stable and long term The Kodak film is manufactured by the same people who are manufacturing the Kodak motion picture film - that contract remains lucrative and is guaranteed until at least 2015.
    Because I don't want to put it off for another two more years. I'd like to just switch, relearn a new film/chemistry setup, and move on.

And I figured a 52 roll project would be a good motivator for me to do it with.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As far as I've been able to discern from my limited scope of understanding, Ilfsol 3 is best used for the lower ASA ilford "traditional" grain films like Pan F+ and FP4 while DD-X is specifically for the full line of Delta series which has the T grain emulsion. As far as HP5, depends what you want, I know that Perceptol matched with HP5 gives a very fine grain for traditional grain high speed film like HP5, but at that point why not just shoot Delta 400 and DD-X developer?

Why are you choosing the HP5 over Delta 400? That's your first question before you choose a developer to go with it, if you WANT the grain that HP5 can produce, then Ifsol S would work well on it, but I'm not sure how long they will still cary that line, since it was "replaced" by ilfsol 3, which is focused more on the lower ASA films. I plan to develop a roll of HP5 sitting in my fridge, I can develop it in Ilfsol 3 or DD-X and send you a full TIFF scan of one of the images if that might help? it's just christmas photos I believe... just let me know which chemistry

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can avoid switching developers by using a clone of XTOL. Here's one sold by Freestyle Photo:

Mark Overton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilfords equivalents?

After looking xtol over a bit, it seems like Ilford's ID-11.

Also, the "clone" isn't a clone it's just repackaged / relabeled xtol so that solution won't work, when Kodak stops producing developer, the clove won't be available either...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    After looking xtol over a bit, it seems like Ilford's ID-11.

Also, the "clone" isn't a clone it's just repackaged / relabeled xtol so that solution won't work, when Kodak stops producing developer, the clove won't be available either...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ID-11 is essentially D76 - significantly different from X-Tol.

And as Kodak no longer manufactures XTol themselves (Champion does it for them) there is no reason to expect XTol to disappear.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use Ilfosol 3 with HP5 and it works really well. No problem with grain. If you don't like grain, use Delta 100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I don't know that there is a close equivalent to XTol in the Ilford range.
    I recall that LC29 is supposed to be similar - I could be wrong so it will need investigating.

EDIT: No it's not! LC29 is similar to HC110.

Steve.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin