Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,401   Online: 894

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is reciprocity failure due tolow intensity exposure and long exposure times but also due to high light intensity and short exposures. both create a similar problem, under exposure. since you can't extend the flash exposure times,only opening the aperture can battle this problem. try opening by a stopand tick to your development regime for now. adjust from there.
    goodluck
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Ilford 'PanF plus' reaction to flash light

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    there is reciprocity failure due tolow intensity exposure and long exposure times but also due to high light intensity and short exposures. both create a similar problem, under exposure. since you can't extend the flash exposure times,only opening the aperture can battle this problem. try opening by a stopand tick to your development regime for now. adjust from there.
    goodluck
    I beg to differ about one point. As you increase the strobes power you decrease the flash duration, as you lower the power output you increase the flash duration ... So you do have some control over the flash duration (exposure time).

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I beg to differ about one point. As you increase the strobes power you decrease the flash duration, as you lower the power output you increase the flash duration ... So you do have some control over the flash duration (exposure time).

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't this backwards- I thought with electronic flash, power was mostly controlled by shortening the burst; thus decreasing power results in shorter duration, and thus why specialized high speed flash equipment uses multiple flash tubes to get decent output.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    Isn't this backwards- I thought with electronic flash, power was mostly controlled by shortening the burst; thus decreasing power results in shorter duration, and thus why specialized high speed flash equipment uses multiple flash tubes to get decent output.
    Yea, I was driving and I think I typed it backward, I stand corrected.

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, I was driving and I think I typed it backward, I stand corrected.

~Stone
    You know what Oprah says about driving and "texting" ......
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You know what Oprah says about driving and "texting" ......
    Well I'm a "Precision Driver" in that I'm a highly trained and skilled driver and I work in the movie industry with stunt guys, I'm the guy they have driving behind the actor while he's running down the street and they trust me not to run him over and to do it the same way 40-100 times because the actor just didn't run the way the director wanted... Lol

Anyway, point is (though its no excuse for bad habits) I'm a much better driver than most and even while texting probably am more observant than many drivers..

That said I do not encourage this behavior, I also know that there are times when my mind is tired and I'm not as aware or able to split my focus safely and I do put the phone down. I don't want to end up being in a commercial "this is the text I was sending when I got into my accident" quote "you won't need clothes for the photoshoot just make sure you bring..."

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to see an example on a different film.

To me it just looks like you don't have enough light in the right spots but I wouldn't blame the film, I would say you should have given a SLIGHT diffusion, that the light is hitting her face "too fast" or the lamp is too close. I've never had an issue like that one, I see what you mean but I would blame the lighting first, it's not terrible but I feel like her skin is super dark and doesn't match what her complexion should be. This happens to me a a combination of if the light source is too close to the subject and the WS is too high. What brand of head/pack do you use? And what reflector did you have on?

~Stone

Hi Stone,
    LOL reading your 'last words' sms above.

I used an octabox without the white cover, so it's higher contrast than an umbrella but less than a small open reflector. The umbrella would have been better I agree.
    Normally I wouldn't understand what you mean with the light source being to close since light gets harder the further you place it away. But in this case the light of the bowens head was open and I am not sure if the inside of the octabox had enough angle to get the diffused light on the model. It worked nice for the dark ceiling that still has enough detail.

One question remains: does PanF have a slightly higher contrast that the average ASA 100 b&w negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    inmy opinion,the most-likely cause is a high-intensity reciprocity failure,probably due to a insanely short flash durationjust rate the film at ei25 and try again.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Hi Stone,
    LOL reading your 'last words' sms above.

I used an octabox without the white cover, so it's higher contrast than an umbrella but less than a small open reflector. The umbrella would have been better I agree.
    Normally I wouldn't understand what you mean with the light source being to close since light gets harder the further you place it away. But in this case the light of the bowens head was open and I am not sure if the inside of the octabox had enough angle to get the diffused light on the model. It worked nice for the dark ceiling that still has enough detail.

One question remains: does PanF have a slightly higher contrast that the average ASA 100 b&w negative?
    Yes I think Pan F+ might have a slightly higher contrast just based on the 50ASA itself, because it's slower to respond to light, the heavier light will burn through before the mid tones are at the right spot.

All that said I rather like the image.

I believe in the 1 light can do a lot rule, but in this case with such a dramatic scene I would have had a separate light for the background, and one for her clothes and one for her body. At least 2 lights, its hard to do EVERYTHING with one light and doubling the duties of a head can have issues such as this. I think you would have been better off with a beauty dish. If you notice with that there is a center disk that blocks the direct light if the bulb itself so you probably should have done the same with your open octagon. Even just adding a diffusion gel just in front of the head would probably help.

I wasn't there so it's hard to tell. Now a days I've been taking one wide shot of my setups so I can reference if something goes wrong.

~Stone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin