Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,473   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of your replies. Frankly, I still don't think I have the wherewithall to get involved in coating my own paper, but I am still very intrigued by the process and would love to be able to buy a commercially available product. I was hoping that this thread might catch the eye of Simon Galley and inspire Ilford to consider the possibility.

Best wishes to all for the new year,
    Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike-

coating your own is VERY easy. Again, it can be done in modest room light, and if you're worried about even, consistent coating, you can use a glass rod instead of a brush. Humidity control is a major factor against commercial platinum paper - back in the day, they would make the stuff, completely dessicate it, and then seal it in a metal tube. You got it home, opened the tube, and then had to re-humidify the paper for an extended period of time to revive it. Much less of a pain in the ass to just coat your own and have enough moisture in the paper at the time of printing because you coated just-in-time. Or I'm sure there are some folks here who would be happy to print it for you for a modest fee if you sent them the negatives.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: Commercial viability of platinum paper

there were at one time many coated platinum papers available in the store....easy off the shelf beats homemade anytime....hence doing lots more lodima vs platinum printing....why...the prints tell the story!!! im using it if it is Here!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Michael et al.

Whilst I think they look fantastic, We would never make a platinum / Palladium product. The volumes would not be any where near commercially viable.

Kind Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks you everyone for your suggestions. While I am sorry to hear that Ilford would not be interested in making such a paper, I really do appreciate Mr. Galley's reply and his responsiveness. I must say that I am learning the Ilford Art 300 paper and it is a truly fantastic product. Matched to the right image, it gives wonderful results. Regards to all
    Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like an opportunity for a cottage industry to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr. Shrager is right. At one time, platinum papers were available. I think Irving Penn used pre-coated paper until it wasn't available.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another reason for not commercially coating platinum/palladium paper: cost vs. waste. Especially with folks getting into printing odd size images like 5x12, 7x17 or even odder sizes and proportions like 5x8, 4x10, or custom sizes like Kenro Izu's 14x20 camera, if you buy pre-coated paper, pretty quickly you'll be screaming about the cost of the wasted metal salts not getting turned into images. To take an extreme example, if you wanted to print a 7x17, you'd probably have to buy a 20x24 sheet and cut it in three strips of 8x20. That's 41 square inches of wasted platinum, or enough material to coat a 5x7 print and then a bit - almost $3 worth of palladium, nearly $7.50 worth of platinum.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    Thanks you everyone for your suggestions. While I am sorry to hear that Ilford would not be interested in making such a paper, I really do appreciate Mr. Galley's reply and his responsiveness. I must say that I am learning the Ilford Art 300 paper and it is a truly fantastic product. Matched to the right image, it gives wonderful results. Regards to all
    Michael
    Ilford Art 300 is of course a different animal than pt/pd, but I am really hooked on it. To me the surface is reminiscent of gum over pt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin