Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,381   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pat Gainer article reprints

I am curious to try Pat Gainers vitamin c developers, and have read all the stuff on Unblinking Eye. Where can I get a reprint of his article “The Role of Antifreeze in Photographic Science” in Photo Techniques Magazine of March/April 2004.?
    My mext question is about propylene glycol. I realize it is less toxic than ethylene glycol, but at the amounts used I can't imagine that ethylene glycol could be all that bad, as long as you don't drink it.If I read Unblinking Eye correctly, the stock soution is diluted 1:50 prior to use, so by my math, with my tanks, that means 10cc of ethylene glycol for each tank. It certainly sounds pretty insignificant to me, or am I missing something?

Images
    "Gadget" Gainer has been very generous in responding to posts in this forum. Perhaps you will get a truly authoritative answer to your questions.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to Neal's reply, if you do want the actual back issues, just go to the PT website and do a search on 'Gainer'.

http://www.phototechmag.com/back_issues.htm

Best,
    Helen

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I wrote Pat once and told him that the 1:50 dilution gave me developing times that were longer than I preferred (10-12 minutes). He wrote back and suggested trying 1:25 or 1:30 at the times I wanted (6-7 minutes). This worked very well.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unblinking Eye has an extensive article by Gainer on Vit. C developing:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html
    Bruce Osgood
    Everyone dies, so try and live a little first
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/camclicker/

Images
    As suggested, you can get most back issues of Photo Techniques. As to the type of glycol, the real danger is to those who do not know that something sweet is not always something good to drink. As long as no children of pets can get hold of it, ethylene is good. HC110 uses diethylene glycol and a bunch of other organic compounds. The label says if you spill it on your shoes, destroy the shoes or wash them well.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    As suggested, you can get most back issues of Photo Techniques. As to the type of glycol, the real danger is to those who do not know that something sweet is not always something good to drink. As long as no children of pets can get hold of it, ethylene is good. HC110 uses diethylene glycol and a bunch of other organic compounds. The label says if you spill it on your shoes, destroy the shoes or wash them well.
    Isn't the preservative in Dr. Pepper (the soda pop) ethylene glycol? I know in my colege chem classes, we all stopped drinking it after the professor showed us on the label that it contained antifreeze.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Isn't the preservative in Dr. Pepper (the soda pop) ethylene glycol? I know in my colege chem classes, we all stopped drinking it after the professor showed us on the label that it contained antifreeze.
    an then they all started drinking Coke- which disolve their teeth. Then
    the nails through out the the chem lab. But they now have the cleanest batteries and car bumpers in the neighborhood. :rolleyes:
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Ingredients:
    Regular Dr. Pepper-
    Carbonated Water
    High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar
    Caramel Color
    Phosphoric Acid
    Artificial and Natural Flavors
    Sodium Benzoate (Preservative)
    Caffeine

Diet Dr. Pepper-
    Carbonated Water
    Caramel Color
    Aspartame
    Phosphoric Acid
    Artificial and Natural Flavors
    Sodium Benzoate (Preservative)
    Caffeine

No Glycols (unless they are included in the artificial flavors...)

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which state, I knowe they differed according to the laws of each state. AZ had the glycol in it
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin