Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,570   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to control Fuji Instant FP-3000 B contrast

I decided to work with Fuji FP-3000 B for a new project, this is my first experience with this material. I expose the first print at the Fuji settings, 3200 ASA develop 20 sec at 21º C and it came out high contrasted, so I make another shot with the same settings to be sure that there wasn't an error. The result was the same. I develop the third film for 5 seconds more and no noticeable changes occurred, just a slight increase of the detail in the high lights, then I increase the exposure rating the film at 2500 ASA, etc. I go through the whole pack increasing the development and exposure and get no good print, one with a reasonable range of tones.

Any suggestions? is this film high contrast? there is a way to test it to find the desired contrast?

two scans of the best results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fp3000 b-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	61828

Name:	fp3000 b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	61829
    Jose A. Martinez

Goose Nest (near Martinsburg), West Virginia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have indeed found FP-3000B to be inherently high in contrast. My absolute best exposures were with my century-old, uncoated Wollensak Velostigmat lenses. On film, these lenses render quite low contrast; on the Fuji instant film, they were pretty well balanced. Here's an example:

Name:	404573_3691115037803_1486292838_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	61831

Your scenes look quite high in contrast to begin with, and I can understand how the Fuji prints might accentuate that. Have you tried it in low-contrast situations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Funny, I've found that in manual cameras it needs to be exposed at asa 2500
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They look too dark to me. I'd increase the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always found it to be low in contrast too.
    so I'd agree with ic-race that maybe it's the exposure that's the problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all... I'll try, again, more exposure, maybe less development, "expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights".
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have read that the paper negatives from fp-3000b are scannable. The suggestion was to thoroughly overdevelop before peeling them apart, air dry the negative, then scan as a reflective object with a flatbed and invert in photoshop. Maybe it will give lower contrast than the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have a good result rating the film at 2500 ASA, and develop less, 15 sec at an ambient temp of 21º C.

Name:	fp 3200 03.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	61915

@hsandler, I'll try the negative scan method. Observing the negs I'm thinking that if I peel them from it's base, if it's possible, I can mount them in a black plexiglass and made a sort of "instant film amprotipe".
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    35mm
    That last one looks much nicer! If you're still looking for less contrast, though, I second trying to scan the negatives. I played with scanning them before and they seemed to work quite well.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After another pack of ten prints I found out that following the earlier quoted Ansel Adams's motto, "expose for the shadows...", I get a more desirable contrast. The key for what I'm trying to do is to place the zone III correctly. The film has a very short dynamic range, so it's easy to fall in a very contrasty image if you misplace your zones, and there is no room to alter the developing process, at least as far as I know.

The whole exercise allowed me to catch up on the practice of the zone system, I get my Pentax spot meter out of my gear cabinet after some time of no use.

Here the more recent print:

Name:	ene 2013003.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	62083

I also gave a try to the scan suggestion. The result was a discovery to me, I didn't expect the outcome. I guess this is a discussion for the hybrid forum, but here it goes: I scan the negative as it is, normally develop, I inverted it in photoshop, and it looks like a Sabatier version of the original positive:

The negative as it is:

Name:	ene 2013004a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	62086

Inverted in photoshop:

Name:	ene 2013004b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	62084

Flipped horizontally to mimic the orignal positive:

Name:	ene 2013004c.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	62085
    Jose A. Martinez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin