Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK second scan done, this time for some reason the image was even more blown out, the distance from the lens was less and I can now actually see the grain so I know I'm at the right height-ish but I'm actually using the Epson scan program, I can't understand how to use SilverFast, someday, but this means I had to edit the photo again in Lightroom 4, this time I can actually read the sign post, however just FYI in the larger versions this is much more obvious that there is an issue, but as we know APUG doesn't allow large image sizes so this is the best I can do... again...

RAW scan...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	61921

And the adjusted scan...

Name:	Verichromerawscan-4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	61922

Thanks again everyone! this was fun, now it's time for bed and ice cream!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sorry to multi post, but this is exciting to me, the next two are a different location, they actually didn't need any real adjustment at all, the scan came out "great" so this one was on my car roof so it wasn't quite level so all I did was crop the image to be straight.... two shots at different exposures 20 seconds and 30 seconds, I guess because of reciprocity failure/age or something similar, it didn't make much difference, they both look about the same in exposure.

Name:	Verichromerawscan-1-2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	61926

Name:	Verichromerawscan-1-3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	61927

OK three more to go, the next ones I did in the middle of the road (on a mini island) in the morning, curious to see if any passing tail lights showed up...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK last 3 scans, now I'm not sure how OK this is with the APUG guidelines but I want to be clear I'm only showing different versions because the film is so old I thought it would be good for people to see just how messed up the film is and how much damage has been done by time.

These first two are almost direct from the scan with just a hair of an exposure lowering (maybe a half a stop), and the second is the second image with a lot of exposure adjustment and some contrast and dark's pumped up to make the image more clear. As you can see the edges of the film suffered the most damage from I assume the oxygen/atmosphere/industrial revolution haha, so there's a really bad fog, whats strange is that it doesn't seem bad by the naked eye, it's only in the scan that it shows up heavily, and worse when adjusting the dark/shadow levels. I'm not very experienced with this so I don't know how badly this would take effect in an optical print, but I would assume it would be similar.

Name:	Verichromerawscan-4-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	61928

Name:	Verichromerawscan-4-2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	61929

And last but not least, the final image... there are 6 images preceding... this is the one I'm worried the moderators will be upset with but since I can't dodge and burn the old fashioned way, I"m trying it this way (and mind you I only learned ANYTHING about Photoshop YESTERDAY via a phone call to a friend who guided me through a few steps to get rid of dust and bad color saturation, so it's a MESS. But I wanted to show through dodging and burning techniques that even the edges of the film could be salvaged. I did a terrible job and there's a really bad "line" where the edge of the natural image drops off and the heavy burning begins, but hey it's an example. The last image is an almost 1:1 so anyone curious could see some of the grain if interested. So in order...

RAW scan...

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	61930
    Adjusted blacks and highlights and exposure level for "optimum" image

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	61931
    Exported from Lightroom to Photoshop and upped the exposure slightly and "burned" the edges in.

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	61932
    Sent back to Lightroom and brought back levels to "optimum" image settings. (notice 2 and 4 here in the center area are now the same exposure).

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	61933

Now this image is sort of what I had actually wanted to shoot, but the Kodak Jiffy with its 110mm lens didn't actually have a tripod mount so I had to shoot far away or get run over by a car. The image size is so large so I can still crop it a LOT with 'good' image detail.

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	61934

and for the pixel peepers... an (almost) 1:1 of the scan at 2400ppi ... it's not fully 1:1 because the 850 limit made the image slightly smaller than the crop I had made and I don't feel like re-doing it just for this, it's close enough you can see the grain...

Name:	Verichromerawscan-3-6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	527.6 KB 
ID:	61935

ok that's it, I'm REALY going to bed now. I'm leaving this open for questions/comments etc. Mods don't be mad, it's not every day you get to see 60 year old film newly shot, I'm sure this will aid in actual darkroom owners techniques with expired film (I hope so).

[EDIT: does anyone know ... I'm PRETTY sure this is Nitrite film... I took a clip and went to the back porch, put a flame near it and it burst crackled, and reached my finger so fast I almost burnt myself it was went up so fast... so, any idea how safe this is to keep in my home? I know the images are junk, but it would be kind of nice to have them, but not at the expense of my life or the expense of my other film! Thanks END EDIT]
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 12-30-2012 at 04:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: one last thing...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for posting your results. Most of these "how to process expired film" threads are all talk and no examples. It's good to see what film that old is still capable of.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stone—

Yay! That curl was about what I saw on my Verichrome Pan roll. The neg scan I attempted was absolutely terrible since I don't have a transparency scanner; I didn't feel good about posting it at all. If I could get a couple of pieces of AN glass, though, I could run them through the enlarger.

So when are you going to take the plunge and get yourself an enlarger and stuff? My Beseler 23c setup doesn't take up much room, though with 116 negs you'll probably need something that handles 4x5s…

Congrats!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Developing times for 60 year old film.

Quote Originally Posted by hgernhardt View Post
    Stone—

Yay! That curl was about what I saw on my Verichrome Pan roll. The neg scan I attempted was absolutely terrible since I don't have a transparency scanner; I didn't feel good about posting it at all. If I could get a couple of pieces of AN glass, though, I could run them through the enlarger.

So when are you going to take the plunge and get yourself an enlarger and stuff? My Beseler 23c setup doesn't take up much room, though with 116 negs you'll probably need something that handles 4x5s…

Congrats!
    Thanks.

When I don't live in my parents house and have my own house...Or live in one, I actually have a house which I rent to my dad, crazy situation... So...not for a while... And by then they may not make print paper anymore...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    And by then they may not make print paper anymore...
    But by the time the majors have stopped making print paper, a new set of enterprising aficionados of the silver halide medium will have begun to make a cottage industry of designer emulsions. The trend will, of course, be to roll your own from raw components, but for those who will be “just starting” in the hobby, there'll be a wide range of starter kits—quite possibly including camera, film, and processing mailer—made available.

As time moves on and technology changes, certain small shops will gain an almost cult following. Favorite emulsions, papers, and chemistry will be touted across the new mass media. Before long, a few leaders in the foray will emerge.

The Great Yellow Father will rise once more.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hgernhardt View Post
    But by the time the majors have stopped making print paper, a new set of enterprising aficionados of the silver halide medium will have begun to make a cottage industry of designer emulsions. The trend will, of course, be to roll your own from raw components, but for those who will be “just starting” in the hobby, there'll be a wide range of starter kits—quite possibly including camera, film, and processing mailer—made available.

As time moves on and technology changes, certain small shops will gain an almost cult following. Favorite emulsions, papers, and chemistry will be touted across the new mass media. Before long, a few leaders in the foray will emerge.

The Great Yellow Father will rise once more.

I think you are dreaming... Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Great job Stone! Your resurrction of a 60 hear old roll a film is inspiration! Happy New Year!
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Great job Stone! Your resurrction of a 60 hear old roll a film is inspiration! Happy New Year!
    Thanks! I wish I had something more interesting to photograph, I also can't figure out if the light image is due to over exposure or over processing... Or both, I don't think I under exposed... But I don't have a lot to play with here.

Side note, I took a snippet outside and lot a match too it, it went up super fast, so I THINK it's Nitrite film, so I put it in a ziplock bag and stuck it in my Freezer. Does anyone know for sure?

Any suggestions and advice would be good, I would prefer NOT to throw it out...

~Stone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin