Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,311   Online: 838

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Developing times for 60 year old film.

Hey guys, yea I'm crazy, but I have a few rolls of Verichrome from the 1940's 1950's and 1960's an I'm sure it's all bad but I want to use it up rather than throw it away.

I started with the 1940's stock to mess with,

Anyway I did the math on this, and assuming this was stored terribly which it looks to be, we are talking1 stop every ten years so assuming it started with an ASA of 80 (but really a box speed of 40 because of the built in safety factor of the rating system at the time) so 60 years puts me at EI of 0.75 ahhh!!! Haha so in Stone's magic world this film was stored in a freezer for 20 of those years so I rated it at EI 3 (mostly because my meter will only go as low as 3 ISO so that's what I stuck to).

So I shot off all 8 frames from 15-30 seconds and a few at the I setting which must have been 1/25 or so but by the sound was sticking a little which is probably good, I figure why not see what a frame would look like shot as normal (it was T or I and thats it) in morning light (and took a few shots with some tri-x 400 at 1/30 of a second to give you an idea of the light). Very nice diffused light.

ANYWAY so now it's time to develop.

I only have Ilfsol 3 and DD-X at my immediate disposal.

IF freestyle/B&H get any Rodinal/Adonol stock in on the 4th as they claim I'll certainly pick some of that up, but that's all I really want to invest if I can help it and not have to buy a new developer just for one probably useless film. I actually have about 9 rolls in all (between the 616/116 rolls, and possibly one 620?) that are both Verichrome or Verichrome Safety or Verichrome Pan depending on DECADE haha.

Soooo, suggestions?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a thread here from someone who developed 40-50 yr old Verichrome Pan successfully. I can't remember more but do a search.

I'd be surprised if the film speed formula you quote works exactly that way. Yes it will lose speed but there may come a point when film speed loss stops.

An Agfa Isolette I was given still had some 40+ yr old film in it and I had a local lab develop it. I am fairly sure they didn't use any special formula for developing and the subsequent prints were amazingly good.

The MDC if I recall gives times for Verichrome Pan. Do a search there as well

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thanks I did a few searches here on APUG and couldn't find anything, I always look before posting, perhaps I used the wrong keywords

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think testing is in order, but I would process normally, or something close to normal for a first pass. Extra exposure seems to be the key to bring the latent image up through the fog. I've read that HC-110 has fog-reducing capabilities, or at least is not fog-enhancing. You don't appear to have any on hand so I'm not sure these links will help, but they can't hurt:

http://foundfilm.livejournal.com/16982.html

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00X1EE

http://www.geekosystem.com/expired-film-photos/

For what it's worth, I recently shot and processed some sheet film from 1944 in HC-110 for ten minutes at room temperature; it was severely fogged but produced a usable image when rated at EI 12. Good luck!

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    I typed in Verichrome Pan Developing Times and it came up with plenty of posts/threads. In the first 4 threads was my own thread where the person in question who had developed this film replied. I had forgotten that I had tried to dev this type of film from someone who had found it in a drawer after having a lab do the film that was still in the camera I had been given. The person's name was Uhner by the way.

There is plenty of material there about dev times and based on my review of just a few threads I think you can forget about ever increasing dev times to compensate for reduced speed. A small increase only may be better

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry I should have read your post better. I note that in your case the film hasn't been exposed yet. My comments about dev times apply to films that were exposed when the films were relatively new but had sat undeveloped for years. However in my search I think there were posts covering reduction in film speed for exposing old film

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I typed in Verichrome Pan Developing Times and it came up with plenty of posts/threads. In the first 4 threads was my own thread where the person in question who had developed this film replied. I had forgotten that I had tried to dev this type of film from someone who had found it in a drawer after having a lab do the film that was still in the camera I had been given. The person's name was Uhner by the way.

There is plenty of material there about dev times and based on my review of just a few threads I think you can forget about ever increasing dev times to compensate for reduced speed. A small increase only may be better

pentaxuser
    Thanks I totally forgot to search for Verichrome and did a general search for old and expired film so I'll try being specific about Verichrome but also the above poster answered a lot of what I was wondering thanks to both!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I think testing is in order, but I would process normally, or something close to normal for a first pass. Extra exposure seems to be the key to bring the latent image up through the fog. I've read that HC-110 has fog-reducing capabilities, or at least is not fog-enhancing. You don't appear to have any on hand so I'm not sure these links will help, but they can't hurt:

http://foundfilm.livejournal.com/16982.html

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00X1EE

http://www.geekosystem.com/expired-film-photos/

For what it's worth, I recently shot and processed some sheet film from 1944 in HC-110 for ten minutes at room temperature; it was severely fogged but produced a usable image when rated at EI 12. Good luck!

Jonathan
    Thanks, well a batch of HC-110 isn't so expensiceso I'll buy it with an order of bottles I need.

Side note. The thing that impressed me most was no vinegar smell at all so the film should be "good" and it's not safer film so it's even more surprising! Excited to see what develops

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just developed a roll of Verichrome Pan that expired in 1965, and was exposed over the past two days. Using a few hints I found lying around, I dropped my process temp to 64ºF. The only developer I have is Ilfosol 3, which I had been using 1:14 with new film—I increased the concentration to 1:9, figuring that would reduce the base fog. I also added a three minute (or so) presoak at 64ºF.

As it turns out, the negatives came out quite nice, and the film appeared to function quite well at EI125 (or thereabouts) using the sunny 16 rule. I haven't printed any of the negs for multiple reasons—I don't have a negative carrier yet (travesty!), and the negatives experience an insane amount of curl. Dunno how to make that go away.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hgernhardt View Post
    I just developed a roll of Verichrome Pan that expired in 1965, and was exposed over the past two days. Using a few hints I found lying around, I dropped my process temp to 64ºF. The only developer I have is Ilfosol 3, which I had been using 1:14 with new film—I increased the concentration to 1:9, figuring that would reduce the base fog. I also added a three minute (or so) presoak at 64ºF.

As it turns out, the negatives came out quite nice, and the film appeared to function quite well at EI125 (or thereabouts) using the sunny 16 rule. I haven't printed any of the negs for multiple reasons—I don't have a negative carrier yet (travesty!), and the negatives experience an insane amount of curl. Dunno how to make that go away.
    Good to hear, what TIMES did you use? Thanks!

~Stone

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin