Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,386   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Happen to have that GAF universal developer formula? I have about 150 feet of 70mm GAF film and a pack of 4x5 GAF I would love to use their product on. I would also consider just buying it from you already made haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

hey stone

it is pretty much the same as ansco 130 .. but i think it looses the hydroquinone i'll try to figure out where i stashed it.
    to be honest, i never used it, since the 130 does such a nice job ...
    if i can't find it, try mixing some 130, dilute it 1:10 use at 72ºF and process your film for about 6-7mins
    its sort of contrasty so you might have to adjust your agitation scheme accordingly, so instead of 10sec/ 1 mins, you might do it every other min ..
    but seeing the film is 20+ years old it might be a match made in heaven at normal agitation, the glycin, HQ and metol combination might help with your fog too
    good luck !

john

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 on the mad scientist thing. But seriously, I've gathered a collection of chemicals (mostly from Artcraft, some from Formulary, a few from "odd" places) and I can now mix up pretty much any B&W developer I might want from Anchell's Cookbook (at least when I have fresh glycin) or Jacobsen's Developing, not to mention more than a few color processes, and B&W reversal. Once the initial outlay has been made, the cost of mixing a liter of a new developer to see what it can do is minimal, and keeping the few that I regularly use (D-76, ID-68, Ansco 47, Mytol, Parodinal) along with their respective replenishers (if I want to replenish) couldn't be easier. I consider the cost nominal, definitely less than packaged developers, and I can mix exactly the quantity I want. Sulfite is the only thing I need to reorder regularly, but that's an opportunity to add a new chemical or two to my arsenal. I mostly use Hypam fixer for everything (even color) and I wouldn't have a clue how to even start to build a Leica, but I can damn sure mix up some developers.

Ulysses

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When Agfa went belly up in 2005, I got religion. Everything I used at that point was Agfa. Paper, film, developer. As a result I started studying chemistry. Years later, I prefer to mix my own to simply avoid a repeat of the past. My favorite film developers are Rodinal (which I have replicated on my own at this point, will post when assured it is good enough over years), Pyrocat-PC, Edwal 12 and 10, and Beutler's. The knowledge gained during the intervening years though is priceless.

I make my own paper developer as well, Ascorbic Acid and Phenidone/dimezone. Life is just that much more simpler. I no longer have to be tied to availability of some manufacturer's chemistry. As long as film and paper are made, I will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do it for the enhanced sense of ownership of the process it gives me.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A well known supplier made a goof with an order and sent me a box of chemicals by mistake. since it was a BIG box - the shipping cost was high so they said to keep it. The chemicals were a lifetimes supply of Sulphite and Carbonate with some hydroquinone.

Up to that point I had resisted mixing my own as I was worried about getting distracted -I sidetrack easily...

After that point I was away. I had to buy some metol and bromide - but after that I was able to mix hundreds of developers. Best for me is being able to mix that which is no longer available (at least where I live). DK50, D23 and Geoffrey Cawley's FX acutance developers are favourites.

I was right, though. I love the mad scientist aspect and sometimes get so involved in the chemistry and camera side of things I completely forget about actually doing any photography for months on end...
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    A well known supplier made a goof with an order and sent me a box of chemicals by mistake. since it was a BIG box - the shipping cost was high so they said to keep it. The chemicals were a lifetimes supply of Sulphite and Carbonate with some hydroquinone.
    So that's where my order disappeared to

Like others that have responded before me, I mix my own developers because they are not available commercially. 510-pyro is my main film developer and I'll mix various lith & paper developers as and when I need them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not yet gone down this path, though i really want/need to, not so much for "normal" film/paper developers, but for lith developer, which seems IMPOSSIBLE to get here in South Africa....

I just need to figure out where to get all the ingredients....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    individual raw chemicals often keep almost indefinitely; mixed powders, not so. That's a benefit to mixing your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I do it for the enhanced sense of ownership of the process it gives me.

Ken
    I like this idea. I think it would be fun to make ones own chemistry and there is something new to learn. Learning is always a good thing.
    I would like to make Ansco 130, to find out why so many people love it. As well as PC-TEA, D-23 for a start.
    What bother me is how expensive the raw chemicals are. It is really cheaper to buy finished products.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Reducing waste. I mix just what I need when I need it. Pyrocat, Dektol, Beutlers, Ansco 47, Ansco 130.
    I hate pouring stuff down the drain because I don't feel like I can trust it. I mix it I know what I have.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin