Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,009   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Happen to have that GAF universal developer formula? I have about 150 feet of 70mm GAF film and a pack of 4x5 GAF I would love to use their product on. I would also consider just buying it from you already made haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

hey stone

it is pretty much the same as ansco 130 .. but i think it looses the hydroquinone i'll try to figure out where i stashed it.
    to be honest, i never used it, since the 130 does such a nice job ...
    if i can't find it, try mixing some 130, dilute it 1:10 use at 72ºF and process your film for about 6-7mins
    its sort of contrasty so you might have to adjust your agitation scheme accordingly, so instead of 10sec/ 1 mins, you might do it every other min ..
    but seeing the film is 20+ years old it might be a match made in heaven at normal agitation, the glycin, HQ and metol combination might help with your fog too
    good luck !

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 on the mad scientist thing. But seriously, I've gathered a collection of chemicals (mostly from Artcraft, some from Formulary, a few from "odd" places) and I can now mix up pretty much any B&W developer I might want from Anchell's Cookbook (at least when I have fresh glycin) or Jacobsen's Developing, not to mention more than a few color processes, and B&W reversal. Once the initial outlay has been made, the cost of mixing a liter of a new developer to see what it can do is minimal, and keeping the few that I regularly use (D-76, ID-68, Ansco 47, Mytol, Parodinal) along with their respective replenishers (if I want to replenish) couldn't be easier. I consider the cost nominal, definitely less than packaged developers, and I can mix exactly the quantity I want. Sulfite is the only thing I need to reorder regularly, but that's an opportunity to add a new chemical or two to my arsenal. I mostly use Hypam fixer for everything (even color) and I wouldn't have a clue how to even start to build a Leica, but I can damn sure mix up some developers.

Ulysses

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When Agfa went belly up in 2005, I got religion. Everything I used at that point was Agfa. Paper, film, developer. As a result I started studying chemistry. Years later, I prefer to mix my own to simply avoid a repeat of the past. My favorite film developers are Rodinal (which I have replicated on my own at this point, will post when assured it is good enough over years), Pyrocat-PC, Edwal 12 and 10, and Beutler's. The knowledge gained during the intervening years though is priceless.

I make my own paper developer as well, Ascorbic Acid and Phenidone/dimezone. Life is just that much more simpler. I no longer have to be tied to availability of some manufacturer's chemistry. As long as film and paper are made, I will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do it for the enhanced sense of ownership of the process it gives me.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A well known supplier made a goof with an order and sent me a box of chemicals by mistake. since it was a BIG box - the shipping cost was high so they said to keep it. The chemicals were a lifetimes supply of Sulphite and Carbonate with some hydroquinone.

Up to that point I had resisted mixing my own as I was worried about getting distracted -I sidetrack easily...

After that point I was away. I had to buy some metol and bromide - but after that I was able to mix hundreds of developers. Best for me is being able to mix that which is no longer available (at least where I live). DK50, D23 and Geoffrey Cawley's FX acutance developers are favourites.

I was right, though. I love the mad scientist aspect and sometimes get so involved in the chemistry and camera side of things I completely forget about actually doing any photography for months on end...
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    A well known supplier made a goof with an order and sent me a box of chemicals by mistake. since it was a BIG box - the shipping cost was high so they said to keep it. The chemicals were a lifetimes supply of Sulphite and Carbonate with some hydroquinone.
    So that's where my order disappeared to

Like others that have responded before me, I mix my own developers because they are not available commercially. 510-pyro is my main film developer and I'll mix various lith & paper developers as and when I need them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not yet gone down this path, though i really want/need to, not so much for "normal" film/paper developers, but for lith developer, which seems IMPOSSIBLE to get here in South Africa....

I just need to figure out where to get all the ingredients....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    individual raw chemicals often keep almost indefinitely; mixed powders, not so. That's a benefit to mixing your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I do it for the enhanced sense of ownership of the process it gives me.

Ken
    I like this idea. I think it would be fun to make ones own chemistry and there is something new to learn. Learning is always a good thing.
    I would like to make Ansco 130, to find out why so many people love it. As well as PC-TEA, D-23 for a start.
    What bother me is how expensive the raw chemicals are. It is really cheaper to buy finished products.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Reducing waste. I mix just what I need when I need it. Pyrocat, Dektol, Beutlers, Ansco 47, Ansco 130.
    I hate pouring stuff down the drain because I don't feel like I can trust it. I mix it I know what I have.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin