Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,263   Online: 1145

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that makes a lot of sense to me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    A combination of factors. I like D-23 and some of the divided developers, none of which are available locally. I also enjoy using Beutler with Foma 200, again not available locally. I also like the idea of avoiding dependence on major manufacturers - Kodak, for instance - who have not demonstrated any loyalty to those of us who enjoy black and white processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    why do you do that(benefits)and what is your favorite formula?
    You have had a fair amount of responses here.
    The thing that puzzles me is why did you want to know? What are you going to do with the data?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Noire View Post
    You have had a fair amount of responses here.
    The thing that puzzles me is why did you want to know? What are you going to do with the data?
    Maybe add more recipes to the third edition of "Way Beyond Monochrome"?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    In addition to the addvantages already mentioned ...

According to Steve Anchell (Darkroom Cookbook, Film Developing Cookbook, etc) commercial developers often include additives to cope with shelf life and hard/soft water issues. I don't like additives.

I also believe I can be more accurate in weighing ingredients than a commercial manufacturer.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I neglected to answer the bit about my favorite formula. I always make dual sheets so I have a backup and some darkroom options. For film, my pecking order is : first for all films, Germain's Finegrain (can't buy it). For T grain film and ir, my second choice is Fx37 (can't buy it), For TriX, FP4, HP5, and most old fashioned emulsions, a Rodinal clone I call Ianol (can't buy it). I also keep D76H and Pyrocat MC on hand as additional variables. I use Ilford WtFb for printing and my paper developer is a cool tone Ansco 130 which has some variations (can't buy it).
    Happily, this has let me try a huge variety of other chemical approaches rather than speculate or rely on forum posts for information..hate not to really know things first hand..

P.S. And it's fun!!

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Maybe add more recipes to the third edition of "Way Beyond Monochrome"?
    which would you like to see?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    why do you do that(benefits)and what is your favorite formula?
    Because OF-1 isn't available premade...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I happen to have a 40s-era darkroom handbook with formulary. Agfa 47/130 [and a lot in between; in later contexts you may see this being referred to as Ansco 47...it was published just before the Second World War started], Kodak D76/DK50/D52/D72, some Gevaert formulas, and others by companies that no longer exist [what's Haloid?] and still others compounded by the author himself! Haven't bothered to compound any of the formulas yet, but I may just wake up one day and place an order for some of these raw chemicals It also has formulas for certain other chemicals [uranium toner, anyone?] The only problem is......a lot of the units are denominated in grains.....don't think there is a modern scale that measures so accurately....

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mix from scratch:
    Pyro-HD King formula, because it is hard to find in Europe (perhaps in Vienna at Lotus) but absolutely not in Belgium.
    E-72 (= Hydrochinon free Dektol) because it does not exist commercially.
    Buffered stop bath because it does not exist commercially in Europe.

And, last but not least, I like doing it!
    Last edited by Philippe-Georges; 01-03-2013 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin