Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,548   Online: 853

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12458 View Post
    ............The only problem is......a lot of the units are denominated in grains.....don't think there is a modern scale that measures so accurately....

-R
    Isn't that what shooters use for reloading ammo? If so, try one of the mail order sporting goods outfits like Gander Mountain.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...The only problem is......a lot of the units are denominated in grains.....don't think there is a modern scale that measures so accurately....

-R
    The conversion from grains to grams is straightforward, either by formula or table. At that point, it is the exact same issue as any other small quantity measurement. You make a solution using enough of the chemical that your scale can accurately weigh it, and then use a volume of the solution that delivers the original quantity specified in the recipe. This is the reason to use drops or mls of 1% or 10% solutions.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use Michael Smith's Amidol formulae because shipping is getting really expensive, and the Lodima prints come out so nice. I do get a weird floating goopy-looking precipitate after the sodium thiosulfate sits for 24 hours. Tests say it's still good, but I never saw it with Kodak fix--maybe it's just the result of evaporation and the Na-thio coming back out. I'm not a chemist.

Shooter
    35mm
    .... and others by companies that no longer exist [what's Haloid?] ....
    -R
    As I recall, the Haloid Corp of Rochester NY was approached by Young Chester Carlson with his new imaging invetion, and the product was so sucessful, the company changed it's name - To XEROX.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm already going in about 12 different directions, but reading threads like this makes me realize I will never ever get bored. I can see trying out these neat recipes in my future....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

if you mix your own chemistry from raw chemicals

I happen to have a 40s-era darkroom handbook with formulary. Agfa 47/130 [and a lot in between; in later contexts you may see this being referred to as Ansco 47...it was published just before the Second World War started], Kodak D76/DK50/D52/D72, some Gevaert formulas, and others by companies that no longer exist [what's Haloid?] and still others compounded by the author himself! Haven't bothered to compound any of the formulas yet, but I may just wake up one day and place an order for some of these raw chemicals It also has formulas for certain other chemicals [uranium toner, anyone?] The only problem is......a lot of the units are denominated in grains.....don't think there is a modern scale that measures so accurately....

-R
    Does that Agfa book have color formulas? CN17 or Whatever develops Negative Ultra K film . Also color reversal film like ORWO color film that's transparency film?

I need both formulas to develop some film, I do have a C-41 instruction that supposedly works at 20° temps but I would prefer to use the original formulas.

Thanks

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iíve been mixing from raw chemicals for so long now, I would never go back to pre-mixed packets. The control one has, sort of creeps up on you. Plus if stored correctly, shelf life is indefinite; Iím currently using a bottle of Kodak Bromide with a use before 1964 date.

Ansco 135, D72, D76, FX4, FX5B are mostly what Iím currently using; with D76 and Ansco 135 my current go to combination.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been 'mixing my own' since I started in 1951 at the school Photo-Soc and the Chemistry Master showed us how to mix our own developers-- then when I got a job in 1959 as a Photographer in the Civil Service Ministry of Aviation I discovered a room there like an 'Aladdin's Cave' of ex- WWII chemicals all dusty !! I told the Boss I could make up D163 print developer for the Senior Photographers who each had a small darkroom, using 'whole plate' glass negatives and he didn't believe me at first but when I showed him I saved the Department a LOT of money and used up the old chemicals from 1945 !!!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

if you mix your own chemistry from raw chemicals

Does anyone mix the t-grain developers like DD-X or Tmax? I know they are "proprietary formulas" but has anyone figured them out yet?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Does anyone mix the t-grain developers like DD-X or Tmax?

~Stone
    Ilford recommend DD-X for all of their films. It is not specific to the Delta / TMAx films.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin