Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,311   Online: 1009
      
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81
  1. #61
    gabriele83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3
    I'd love to do all by myself, from crafting camera, lens, film, paper, chemicals... If only I had the tools, time, materials, space and someone who could teach me.
    Imagine how cool it would be to know you're in total control of your creation, in every single bit of the process.
    Wouldn't you be proud to think: - "yes I made all this from scratch from the very beginning!" ?

    While at the moment I'm just at the beginning as a self learner for what it concerns darkroom and developing.

  2. #62
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,623
    Images
    1
    you have to stop somewhere. i'm not going to make my own comets to get silver!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,548
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Most of my photography involves contact printing on silver chloride papers and my preferred film developer is ABC pyro, which to my knowledge is not available premixed. Ditto the amidol formula I use for printing and the fixer (2 bath plain hypo, with sodium metabisulfite added to the first bath). Although they're all available as kits, I find it far less expensive to just keep a supply of the raw chemicals and mix them ad hoc.

    I don't mix my own because it gives me any particular advantage. It's just that they're not available premixed or are prohibitively expensive premixed. When I develop negatives I intend to enlarge I usually use Defender 777, which is only available as a kit of pre-measured powders (when it's available, which it doesn't seem to be at present).
    hi jim

    i spoke with someone at bluegrass packaging just last week about 777
    and she said they are waiting or looking for 1 component chemical ...
    i mentioned a few places she might or might not have known about,
    where she might or might not be able to procure whatever it is she may or may not
    be looking for. ( secret formula )

    john

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ukraine - Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    305
    Instead of Defender 777 you can use several other alternatives for this Ultra Fine Grain type developer.
    A very good alternative is Windisch W665, made on ortho- Phenylene Diamine instead of that really crappy para- Phenylene Diamine stuff used in 777 or Sease or MCM-100.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,956
    As a chemist I would like to warn people again about the phenylenediamines. They are suspected carcinogens and are capable of causing an extreme form of allergic dermatitis. They are also cross sensitizers that can sensitizze people to related developing agents such as Metol and the color developing agents. Skin absorption has been linked to liver and kidney damage. I speak from personal experience since I had to give up color processing. They are bad news and have no place in modern photography.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-11-2013 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  6. #66
    c6h6o3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    3,189
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi jim

    i spoke with someone at bluegrass packaging just last week about 777
    and she said they are waiting or looking for 1 component chemical ...
    i mentioned a few places she might or might not have known about,
    where she might or might not be able to procure whatever it is she may or may not
    be looking for. ( secret formula )

    john
    We've been hearing that baloney for years. Paul Paletti was contacted about 6 months ago by the Bluegrass CEO wanting to know if he knew anyone who would beta test a new batch. I held my hand up and said "Of course. Just make some. I'll pay for it." When I visited with Paul in Louisville in November I asked him if he'd heard from the guy and Surprise! he hadn't. They certainly come off as a bunch of flakes.

    I have 2 or 3 gallons worth of powders left and a seasoned gallon with a half gallon of replenisher. As much as I use it any more that may be a lifetime supply.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 01-11-2013 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,548
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    We've been hearing that baloney for years. Paul Paletti was contacted about 6 months ago by the Bluegrass CEO wanting to know if he knew anyone who would beta test a new batch. I held my hand up and said "Of course. Just make some. I'll pay for it." When I visited with Paul in Louisville in November I asked him if he'd heard from the guy and Surprise! he hadn't. They certainly come off as a bunch of flakes.

    I have 2 or 3 gallons worth of powders left and a seasoned gallon with a half gallon of replenisher. As much as I use it any more that may be a lifetime supply.



    thats too bad.
    too bad they can't just make the PF keep their secret formula
    and have them mix and distribute it. sure would make a lot of people
    a lot happier ....

  8. #68
    gabriele83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    you have to stop somewhere. i'm not going to make my own comets to get silver!
    Agreed, also probably is better to skip lens making ;-)

  9. #69
    AndreasT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    355
    I would like to take up mixing my own chemicals. What I would like to to know is it correct or false to say that if I dissolve the accelerator in a seperate bath and mix the developer shortly before use that the developer has a longer shelf life.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriele83 View Post
    Agreed, also probably is better to skip lens making ;-)
    Not on your life! I'll continue to keep polishing the bottom of my Coke bottle. Should be a great protrait lens and I can say, "I made it myself". JohnW



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin